Warped disconnected baffle fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
I bout a Teddy Bear Fisher. Inside has a lot of rust but still in decent shape. I noticed the baffle is not only warped/bent on one side but it’s come disconnected from the stove wall. By these pics you can see in pic 1 the right side is still straight, attached to angle iron and sticking to the wall. In pic 3 you can see the warp. And in pic 2 you see the left side completely disconnected from the stove. Not sure what caused it. But I’d like to fix it. If it even needs fixing. The whole baffle is still solid and despite the warm is in a position that will still work. If I wanted to straighten it I don’t know how. I’d have to hammer it out thus breaking it from the wall and I don’t have the ability to weld another back in. Will a waroed baffle work less better than a straight? And what if I set a straight piece of steel over this one? Let me know your thoughts.

Warped disconnected baffle fixWarped disconnected baffle fixWarped disconnected baffle fix

Grinder. Remove baffle and lay on hard flat surface. Sledge hammer with hearing protection to flatten. Do not weld in place.

Reactions: bigealta
Grinder. Remove baffle and lay on hard flat surface. Sledge hammer with hearing protection to flatten. Do not weld in place.
The baffle is attached to the angle iron. By weld I think and the Angel iron is welded to the stove. So if I cut it out how will I get it back in place?

It looks like there is a weld only on the left side. Cut the weld not the top baffle plate. So just as small a cut as you can just thru the weld.

Light taps with a hammer around the baffle plate near the angle iron to see where it's loose and if it is indeed a weld there that needs to be cut. It looks like one in the middle on the left side? But that could be a glob of other "Stuff" too.

The baffle is attached to the angle iron. By weld I think and the Angel iron is welded to the stove. So if I cut it out how will I get it back in place?
The baffle should not be welded to supports. It is smaller for expansion and is removable.

Reactions: bigealta
So if I can’t budge it, is it safe to assume the rust has acted as a bonding agent?
It's possible. Put a large flat head screwdriver in that small gap between the baffle plate and the angle iron and try to twist it to see if you can get any movement of the baffle.

Clean or scrape clean that "blob" on the left side that looks like a weld to see what it actually is.

Is that left side angle even attached to the side of the stove. It kind of looks like its not?