Wanting to install an insert into my masonry but the firebox is too small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve17

Mar 24, 2021
Edmonton alberta canada
Looking for some advice im wanting to install an insert into my masonry fireplace but my opening is about an inch too small top and sides. I have no problem moving the lintel up to the next row of bricks my bigest issue is the taper of my fire box. My opening is 27.5"W and 20.5" deep and my back wall is 15"W . I cant even get the smallest stove inside those dimensions. Is rebuilding the fire box 2" wider with no taper to the back wall an option. Or what can I do here ?

What are the full dimensions of the fireplace? 20" is fairly deep. Is the depth at the lintel height the same as at the bottom? What is the current lintel height?

How large of an area will the insert be heating? What is the budget for the stove and for the liner?

If doing all that work, why not trim the fire box back & flush with the wall, install a new crock higher, cover the rest of the fire box open and install a free standing stove in front on a larger hearth?

Can you post a picture?

The Country Striker and Lopi Answer are two inserts to look at.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I have the little Lopi Answer mentioned above. Great little insert for my needs. Like it a lot.