Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
it was 76 this morning here in Texas, I found small "rattler" this morning on back porch, guess I better get out the pistol.
I knoe yall happy up in the cold climate, but down here Im happy with low of 45. I had a cord of wood for 3 years now, stiil probably have enough for this winter. I enjoy reading about stoves you have and the way ya store wood.

Reactions: Blazing
Temps dropped to 40 flat Friday night into Saturday, Saturday morning I fired up the stove using 2x4 cut offs, I kept a low fire going all day due to the fact that it was cloudy and breezy all day. Saturday night into Sunday it dropped to 38 imby, kept the fire going, it was 75 inside which was beautiful. I let the fire go out on Sunday and haven't lite it up again.

37 degrees here this morning. House was still 70 thanks to the coals from last nights load.

Reactions: Zack R
37 degrees here this morning. House was still 70 thanks to the coals from last nights load.

Nice! I finally started running full loads of pine at night and woke up to 68F in the house (24F outside). Before bed I loaded up the stove, let it get up to 600F with the secondaries blazing away and closed the air intake all the way down. Still a few coals in the morning at 7am and the stove was warm to the touch (150F).

One of my new favorite pastimes is playing with our 8 month old girl on the living room floor before bed and watching the slow blue flame inside the stove. So much more interesting to watch when the flame is in that slow blue mode and is coming from all directions.

Still on passive solar heating here. I open the shades in the morning and close them at night. The house has stayed above 65.

The ac ran on and off all day and the sun wasn't even out today. Might get cold enough to do my first burn in the FP30 next week...

Started burning today. Was 50 and damp/chilly at 6:30 this morning and not getting much warmer through the day. Heard the NG boiler fire up at 7:00 so I decided to light up.

It's been loads of pine so far. I have maybe a half face cord of pine, haven't burned it before but I'm liking it for this weather. Wish I had more of it now, but I've got 2 cords of ash and 0.5 cord of oak/cherry/maple mix ready to go. Started out this morning pretty well, both upstairs and downstairs were in the 70s. Then I decided to add more than what I had been in prior loads and I've cooked the basement up to 84. Got a little excited about the pine I guess, but hey, the boiler hasn't kicked on since.

Reactions: Blazing
Had our first fire last night. Didn't really need to, temps just went down to about 45, but I wanted to burn up the pistachio shell accumulation so that I can clean out the stove. Didn't take but a minute for the cat to park itself right in front of the stove. May do another tonight just for the glow of it on a cold wet night.

Had our first fire last night. Didn't really need to, temps just went down to about 45, but I wanted to burn up the pistachio shell accumulation so that I can clean out the stove. Didn't take but a minute for the cat to park itself right in front of the stove. May do another tonight just for the glow of it on a cold wet night.

I’m burning too (northwest Oregon)

Mostly because it’s a new stove. I’ll probably run the heat pump during my work week.

Yeah, I broke down and started a fire tonight too. It's a nice feeling and a good light show.

It is a good feeling. I have my office in the basement but I parked myself on the couch in front of the fire all day.

The last load yesterday went in at 2:30pm and I just let it burn out, last time I checked at about 9 there were still coals left. This morning the masonry was still reading 75 and the basement is comfy at 70. No fire today. :(

Its been a good week for burning wood, highs around 40F and lows in the 20's. Loaded it up with pine last night, cranked it up to 600F and woke up to a warm 72F house at 6:00am with enough coals to start right back up.

Watching it snow out the window as we speak.

Attachments

• Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music?
    File_000 (5).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Blazing and begreen
Its been a good week for burning wood, highs around 40F and lows in the 20's. Loaded it up with pine last night, cranked it up to 600F and woke up to a warm 72F house at 6:00am with enough coals to start right back up.

Watching it snow out the window as we speak.

Nice!

Can't wait until it gets cold here in SE Michigan. I need to burn, dag nabbit! Pardon my potty mouth...

What, why didn't you Thursday? 50s all day and damp, perfect day to start. Sunday night we should see temps dip below 40 and not reach 60 into Monday - there's your starting point. But then it's warming up again for the rest of the week.

What, why didn't you Thursday? 50s all day and damp, perfect day to start. Sunday night we should see temps dip below 40 and not reach 60 into Monday - there's your starting point. But then it's warming up again for the rest of the week.

Indeed, that was the day I almost pulled the trigger. I didn't, though, because I get home from work in the evening, and the temps started to climb into the 60s at that point. Also, my house has been holding on to the warmer temps from earlier in the week. I think I need a stretch of about three days like Thursday, windows open, in order to get my home thermostat to drop to "burn level."

Geez, it's like the bizarro world 'round here...a thread full of people who WANT outside temps to plummet. Only on Hearth.com. This place rules.

Geez, it's like the bizarro world 'round here...a thread full of people who WANT outside temps to plummet. Only on Hearth.com. This place rules.

Right? I'm waiting for enough snow to go skiing, only 8" right now. Even if I wasn't a skier I'd be cheering on the cooler temps, last summer was WAY too hot! The poor Northern Californians are still burning!

Reactions: iceman2424