Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
Besides a test burn after cleaning last month today is the first burn for me.

Is everyone ready?

I got about a chord of Mulberry, that I love so far(9%) some walnut, another cord or so of dimensional pine, as well as a steady suply of dimensional pine.

We fired up the stove this morning also. It was 43 degrees outside and momma was cold. I'm glad that the shoulder season has arrived and we can have some morning fires. I'm also enjoying the Fall colors. It is supposed to be a spectacular leaf season in the Appalachian Mountains.

Besides a test burn after cleaning last month today is the first burn for me.

Is everyone ready?

I got about a chord of Mulberry, that I love so far(9%) some walnut, another cord or so of dimensional pine, as well as a steady suply of dimensional pine.
Are you saying 9% moisture content? How dod you measure that? And how was it dried?

Ha I fired mine up about 6 weeks ago :) thankfully it warmed up outside again

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It was in the low 40's last night and will be again tonight here in southern Va. I cut the ac off and let the sun warm things up good during the day. I told my wife I'm not going to start burning as early this year just a waste of wood when we have the heat pump. The more years I heat with wood the less I want to burn it with the windows open because I started to early lol.

Reactions: cookin2night
32 degrees this morning ... big change from three days ago.

It's supposed to hit a low of 49 tonight, but we're back into the high 70s next week. Summertime in October!
Enjoy it while it lasts. Winter is coming...

Reactions: cookin2night
Finally put my new Jotul F45 (2 weeks old, first time wood stove owner) to the test last night. Loaded it up with lodgepole pine last night at had it cruising at 550F (top of stove) before bed at 10:00pm. Closed the air intake all the way down and at 5:30am there were still some glowing embers and the house was at 65F. Added some wood and it came right back to life.

It was about 35F outside when I went to bed and 22F at 5:30am. It's now 9:00am, 30F outside and the house is nice and comfortable at 73F (measured down the hall from the stove) with the furnace fan running to spread the heat around.

I initially thought a smaller stove would be enough but I'm glad to have this one now. The best part is front to back loading (up to 18") and glass that stays clear all of the time. I also like to see those secondary burn tubes pushing out blue flame once the stove is "in the zone".

Finally put my new Jotul F45 (2 weeks old, first time wood stove owner) to the test last night. Loaded it up with lodgepole pine last night at had it cruising at 550F (top of stove) before bed at 10:00pm. Closed the air intake all the way down and at 5:30am there were still some glowing embers and the house was at 65F. Added some wood and it came right back to life.

It was about 35F outside when I went to bed and 22F at 5:30am. It's now 9:00am, 30F outside and the house is nice and comfortable at 73F (measured down the hall from the stove) with the furnace fan running to spread the heat around.

I initially thought a smaller stove would be enough but I'm glad to have this one now. The best part is front to back loading (up to 18") and glass that stays clear all of the time. I also like to see those secondary burn tubes pushing out blue flame once the stove is "in the zone".

Welcome aboard @Zack R . Using the furnace fan will cause a great loss of your valuable heat in most cases. Most of us prefer a small fan on the floor blowing the cold air towards the stove room.

Reactions: Stevenmverrill
Welcome aboard @Zack R . Using the furnace fan will cause a great loss of your valuable heat in most cases. Most of us prefer a small fan on the floor blowing the cold air towards the stove room.

Thanks for the welcome @Blazing . I've found that a box fan on the floor blowing cool air toward the room of the stove does indeed work well. It tends to push the warm air along the hallway ceiling and up the staircase.

I've been running the furnace fan occasionally to try and mix the upstairs and downstairs air with some success, but I could see how heat would be lost in the process as you mentioned. I'll keep experimenting and see what methods work best.

Some background info on the stove installation:

- House built in 2004, 2 story, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath, 1500 sqft, "townhouse style"
- Wooden exterior chase (chimney is at least 30' to top haven't measured exactly)
- Existing zero clearance fireplace, damper removed and 6" flexible class A liner installed inside zero clearance chimney (professional install by top installer in county with 35 years experience, county inspected)
- Front of existing zero clearance fireplace blocked off by steel plate
- Tile hearth with cement backer board (built myself to meet clearance requirements)
- Short leg kit, no blower fan on stove
- No outside air kit

Its only been a few weeks but it drafts strong and I haven't had any issues. Looking forward to a warm winter!
Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music? Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome @Blazing . I've found that a box fan on the floor blowing cool air toward the room of the stove does indeed work well. It tends to push the warm air along the hallway ceiling and up the staircase.

I've been running the furnace fan occasionally to try and mix the upstairs and downstairs air with some success, but I could see how heat would be lost in the process as you mentioned. I'll keep experimenting and see what methods work best.

- House built in 2004, 2 story, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath, 1500 sqft, "townhouse style"
- Wooden exterior chase (chimney is at least 30' to top haven't measured exactly)
- Existing zero clearance fireplace, damper removed and 6" flexible class A liner installed inside zero clearance chimney (professional install by top installer in county with 35 years experience, county inspected)
- Tile hearth with cement backer board (built myself to meet clearance requirements)
- No outside air kit

Its only been a few weeks but it drafts strong and I haven't had any issues. Looking forward to a warm winter!
View attachment 200807 View attachment 200808
Are the vents of that zc fireplace closed off?? If so that could be dangerous.

- No outside air kit

View attachment 200807 View attachment 200808

That is very nice looking!

Reactions: Zack R
Are the vents of that zc fireplace closed off?? If so that could be dangerous.

Not that I'm aware of. I was out of town for the install so I wasn't able to see exactly how it was done. In our area you see this kind of installation more than you would think due to all of the zero clearance fireplaces with wooden chases.

Not that I'm aware of. I was out of town for the install so I wasn't able to see exactly how it was done. In our area you see this kind of installation more than you would think due to all of the zero clearance fireplaces with wooden chases.
I understand it may be common but the vents for cooling air on the face of the zc firrplace need to be unobstructed. And from your pics i dont see how they could not be.

they keep saying its coming but this year has been crazy, 70s all week still saying here, alot of years its cool enough to snow in oct

I understand it may be common but the vents for cooling air on the face of the zc firrplace need to be unobstructed. And from your pics i dont see how they could not be.

The steel plate isn't sealed off. There is an air gap at the bottom (maybe an inch) and a small air gap around the edges. It appears to sit away from the face of the zero clearance stove (not sure if they removed the old brass colored face or not). I agree you would want some air to flow inside to cool the zero clearance chimney.

The 6" liner sits inside a 8" double wall chimney and the chase is about 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep.

The steel plate isn't sealed off. There is an air gap at the bottom (maybe an inch) and a small air gap around the edges. It appears to sit away from the face of the zero clearance stove (not sure if they removed the old brass colored face or not). I agree you would want some air to flow inside to cool the zero clearance chimney.

The 6" liner sits inside a 8" double wall chimney and the chase is about 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep.
Ok if there is a gap it is probably ok. It just didnt look like it in the pic and i wanted to make sure it was as safe as it could be.

Oh how I love up side down fire! Night 2, for no reason other then novelty :) I'll probably regret this in March when I'm cutting up pallets... lol

Attachments

• Waking up to 45° what's next Christmas music?
    20171002_203854.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 173
Oh how I love up side down fire! Night 2, for no reason other then novelty :) I'll probably regret this in March when I'm cutting up pallets... lol
Yeah test on the fresh split face not end grain that is why your reading is off. It is probably dry enough but not 9%

I found an all black wooly bear yesterday. That probably means snow up to our armpits.

Reactions: Blazing