Virginia Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoot-straight

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
Kennedyville, MD
I know im gonna be short for next years wood. I have some oak and ash set aside for the really cold days. There is alot of dead and dying virginia pine around here. Will it dry by fall if its split and stacked in a prime location and any issues using it?

BTW, i have a BK ashford. I know that many, many BK's are fed a steady diet of softwood in the NW. is there much of a difference in species in regards to sap and creosote formation?

thanks!

Imho. split small. stack single row in a windy spot. top cover before the fall rain. the moisture content should be close by next season. if you arent satisfied with the MC by the time you are ready to burn mix it in with some of the good dry ash and oak you have. you want your total fuel charge to be less than 20%MC. that doesnt mean that a few pieces of pine can't be slightly higher.

Last edited:
did some more research and discovered that v pine has similar or more BTUs per ton than cherry, gum, soft maple or poplar...

going to go see about getting some permission to cut!

thanks guys.

I have the narrowminded idea that everyones back yard looks like mine. It has been interesting to see woodburners from everywhere on the globe here.
Ive rarely considered what others have available to burn until now. Someone else here said the coldest climates on earth have only softwoods available as fuel. Conifers and poplars in most of Canada.
It makes me respectful and grateful.
I also think its industrious and resourse minded to burn a sick or dying species. If it contributes toward irradicating infections and infestations.
Culling sick or weakened trees is a helpful guesture toward land stewardship.

I know im gonna be short for next years wood. I have some oak and ash set aside for the really cold days. There is alot of dead and dying virginia pine around here. Will it dry by fall if its split and stacked in a prime location and any issues using it?

BTW, i have a BK ashford. I know that many, many BK's are fed a steady diet of softwood in the NW. is there much of a difference in species in regards to sap and creosote formation?

thanks!

If the wood is dry you can mostly forget about creosote. Yes, you could still get some if your burning practices are bad but you have a good stove. If you feed that stove dry wood, you should have no problem. Most pine will dry fairly fast and I'd bet it will be good next winter.

I think Virginia Pine should be seasoned by next winter if you stack it now.

Should be great- A big 20" shortleaf pine (A close relative of VA) I stacked in early summer is saving my butt now, burning great. Watch for fatwood in the lower rounds, a nice bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.