VG5790 overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ns3130

Jan 4, 2018
Michigan
Help! I have a big 5790 that keeps throwing error code 1. Went through and did everything the manual said to do. Ended up replacing the convection blower. The proof of fire thermodisc. And the high limit switch. It runs for about an hour then the night limit switch kicks. Any suggestions? Over this thing:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help! I have a big 5790 that keeps throwing error code 1. Went through and did everything the manual said to do. Ended up replacing the convection blower. The proof of fire thermodisc. And the high limit switch. It runs for about an hour then the night limit switch kicks. Any suggestions? Over this thing:/

Correction to big 5790. VG5790.

Hello. I have a 5770 which has the same electronics in a smaller stove. E1 is the high limit. Going to give some suggestions.

First off, is this a new install, or has it been in service awhile? Are the pipe and all the inner chambers clean, including the ash traps on the sides?

How hot are you running it? As cold as it's been, probably pretty high. According to the manual, if you run it on 5 for extended periods, it will trip the thermodisc. Never had it happen to me yet, but the only time I've needed 5 is with crap pellets anyway.

But I did have a bad hi limit thermodisc from the start. The little square button was loose, and if you jiggled it, the stove would error out. Sometimes walking up to the stove would do it. I replaced it with a White Rodgers one I got online and never had a problem since. If you replaced it with a factory original part, you may still have problems. There's also the possibility of a wiring short from the disc to ground somewhere, but I'd rule out the easy stuff first.

Another thing I'm going to suggest, is this one of the models that has a front plate with the Ashley logo cut into it? If so, remove it. You need all the airflow you can get, and to me that cover is a considerable restriction. I made something different to replace mine, leaving the vent area almost wide open.

Also, is the room fan working properly? Can you hear it run faster or slower as needed depending on heat range? I've had to grease the bearings in mine a few times in the last 2 years. Have you ever cleaned out the squirrel cage and passages? If you've got a lot of hair or dust in the air, that can slow down the airflow too.

Reactions: FirepotPete
My thought is it’s a chamber I am missing. I feel as though it doesn’t blow as hard as it should. Not sure as I can’t find any good videos.
It is a 2013 I bought used. I clean regularly. Sides as well. Room fan speeds are all noticeable.
Only other thought is the combustion blower not running at full speed.
Also. Not sure but it looks like any hopper safety switch has been bypassed. Only have 2 wires connected to each other inside hopper.

This new convection blower you got is it one of the Chinese replacements that are all over ebay? Is the RPM, hp, amperage, rotation the same as your original?

What chamber do you think your missing? Have you tried running on a lower setting? If the high limit switch is popping it is an overtemp issue. So i would assume you exhaust paths are clean, or it wouldn’t get hot enough to trip the switch. Is it possable to clean the pasage of the heat exchanger tubes to the blower?

Last edited:
Reactions: tlc1976
What chamber do you think your missing? Have you tried running on a lower setting?

It ran all night on 1. 1 doesn’t help when it is -5 out... I don’t know. Was going to take the whole thing apart this weekend:/

I realize its cold bud. Its -26 here rt now. If you have a compressor i would take it ouside and blow the s#%t out of it. And all the components. New parts being faulty is not all that uncommon last few years. But im leaning that the new motor is not as powerful as the old one, or the high limit is either wrong ( to low of a trip setting ) or its failing on rise.

Reactions: tlc1976
I realize its cold bud. Its -26 here rt now. If you have a compressor i would take it ouside and blow the s#%t out of it. And all the components. New parts being faulty is not all that uncommon last few years. But im leaning that the new motor is not as powerful as the old one, or the high limit is either wrong ( to low of a trip setting ) or its failing on rise.

Yeah. Was thinking about blowing it out as well. All the numbers on motors match up. Maybe its bad too. Wish I could find a video with one I high so I could at least try to compare. I made damn sure all numbers matched on parts. I know there are some chitty parts out there...
would a bypassed hopper switch cause this? Have 2 wires dangling connected inside hopper.

Yeah. Was thinking about blowing it out as well. All the numbers on motors match up. Maybe its bad too. Wish I could find a video with one I high so I could at least try to compare. I made damn sure all numbers matched on parts. I know there are some chitty parts out there...
would a bypassed hopper switch cause this? Have 2 wires dangling connected inside hopper.

VG5790 overheating

New blower
VG5790 overheating

No but i would tape them up so they don’t ground out. What are the numbers on the snap disc you put in?

Seem to have misplaced my manual. I'm sure the hopper switch wires should be connected for the stove to run. All it does is disable the auger when the hopper is open, so the fire will slowly go out unless you close it. Honestly I removed my hopper switch too, too much of a hassle trying to load a bag without the fire going out. And connected the wires and sealed over them good. You have 2 wires just dangling loose and the stove runs? I wonder where the previous owner connected them. And I wonder what else might be screwy in your wiring. I'd be looking at that wiring for the thermodisc. Remove the side panel and try to follow it all the way to the board. If there's a loose connection anywhere, especially where it opens up after the stove gets hot, that's the problem. All it takes is a break in connection just for a second and you get an E1. You might want to remove the board shroud, and check, tighten, and re-seat all connectors as needed.

fasco 70582397 is the correct replacement, i would try cleaning out and lubing the old motor just to try it if you can.

Thermo disc is 95C around 203F. Still have your old one?

They are connected.

Ok good, I just downloaded the manual here and yes they should be connected. Just make sure they're secure then tape them up good.

200F is correct for the overheat snap disc. I have my old one here.

You could always try connecting the leads together temporarily for testing. See if it still does it. If it does, you know the snap disc is probably fine and to explore the rest of the wiring. However I wouldn't leave the stove running unattended that way, because that disc is your only chance of it shutting off if it gets too hot for whatever reason (blower dies, board goes haywire, etc.)

Ok your high limit is the correct one. So we are back to the convection blower. I think your new one doesn’t have the hp and rpm’s to spool up high enough to get the heat out of the stove.

Just thought of something, are you absolutely sure the new motor is turning the correct direction? I've pulled mine apart several times to repack grease into the bearings, and really had to think about which way it went. Since it will go back together either way.

At my job I work with industrial fans a lot, and a common thing is people install a fan turning the wrong way. They still get air, just not as much as they should.

Can you check it when it starts up or shuts off, or provide temporary power to bump it, and see which way it turns? Make sure it's trying to throw the air out the square outlet?

Just thought of something, are you absolutely sure the new motor is turning the correct direction? I've pulled mine apart several times to repack grease into the bearings, and really had to think about which way it went. Since it will go back together either way.

At my job I work with industrial fans a lot, and a common thing is people install a fan turning the wrong way. They still get air, just not as much as they should.

Can you check it when it starts up or shuts off, or provide temporary power to bump it, and see which way it turns? Make sure it's trying to throw the air out the square outlet?

That is an interesting thought. It only mounts one way but I will check next time it errors out.

Ok your high limit is the correct one. So we are back to the convection blower. I think your new one doesn’t have the hp and rpm’s to spool up high enough to get the heat out of the stove.

I agree. What do you think about the aftermarket type?

It’s supposed to put out 200 cfm and that should blow through the vents pretty good. You should feel air moving 5-6 feet in front of the stove. Did you get just the motor or was it the whole blower assembly?

It’s supposed to put out 200 cfm and that should blow through the vents pretty good. You should feel air moving 5-6 feet in front of the stove. Did you get just the motor or was it the whole blower assembly?

Assembly