Vermont Castings Defiant (1975) internal assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hayesdp

Oct 29, 2023
Boulder, CO 80301
Hi all,
I have a Defiant from 1975, which I grew up with in my house in NH, and now I'm restoring it for a cabin in CO. I'm having trouble assembling the internal parts. Does anyone have instructions or a guide or something? I can see how most of the pieces fit together from the diagrams I've found, but there appears to be an order in which they have to be assembled (?) for it to fit together. Thanks in advance.
Doug

There is manual out there on this site for converting the single piece fireback to the two piece fire back that includes complete rebuild instructions including the tricky part of forming the secondary air tube with screen and refractory. If you do not get that right, the secondary combustion will not work correctly.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks peak. I added a link to this doc on the older VC models Resource page.