Vermont Casting Interpid 2 catalytic combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dickie

Dec 27, 2017
Montana
Hey Folks, new guy here,
I bought a 22 yr old home with an Intrepid 2 in it, love the stove for size and heat ability however as I engage the catalytic combuster the fire seems to slowly go out. I have the manual and have read many articles on the net about it and to me it seems like maybe my CC is too old/clogged/broken...
So my big question to you all is, has anyone replaced one? How hard was it? Whats the best replacement to use?
I am fairly mechanical so not afraid to get the tools out, but to be honest woodstoves are not something I have ever worked on, so I am a little unsure of whats ahead.
Tnx in advance for any and all info that will help.....

If it's like my Encore, you simply remove the lower fireback panel by removing 2 steel wedges, one on each side and remove the throat shroud. The catalytic converter rests behind the fireback sitting in the refractory and comes right out by hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's like my Encore, you simply remove the lower fireback panel by removing 2 steel wedges, one on each side and remove the throat shroud. The catalytic converter rests behind the fireback sitting in the refractory and comes right out by hand

Hey tnx for the info, do you think the old one will come out and new one in without doing refractory cement over again? Tnx again

You will know what kind of condition the refractory is in when you pull out the fireback. Fingers crossed it is still intact and doesn't need replacement Post some pictures if you get a chance. Replacement cat was a couple hundred bucks for me online. Replacement refractory is probably the same. A lot of the reason our VC stoves have a bad reputation on this site

You will know what kind of condition the refractory is in when you pull out the fireback. Fingers crossed it is still intact and doesn't need replacement Post some pictures if you get a chance. Replacement cat was a couple hundred bucks for me online. Replacement refractory is probably the same. A lot of the reason our VC stoves have a bad reputation on this site

Hey tnx, when you say refractory cement probably the same what exactly do you mean? The cost of that little bit needed will be 200.00 ?
Also do you have any input on new makers of these units with different construction techniques? prices are now varying quite a bit. I know a lot of time we say stay with original equipment but modern technology may be worth checking out?

I know nothing about that stove, but an old/dead cat doesn't make the fire go out when you put air through it.

I would pull the cat out and look at the cat and the airway behind the cat for an airflow obstruction.

I know nothing about that stove, but an old/dead cat doesn't make the fire go out when you put air through it.

I would pull the cat out and look at the cat and the airway behind the cat for an airflow obstruction.
Tnx, yes thats todays job, but all I have read does seem to say that a clogged or cracked/distorted combustor will cause the fire to go out and temps to drop and that is exactly what it's doing. However as you say it needs to come out and be checked and I will post as soon as I do that..Tnx for the input

Ok inspection is done, to my untrained eye, it looks damn near like new, no decay to the cells, nothing crooked or distorted, lots of ash in the cell holes, the case if you will that it fits into looks really good..Next will to fire it and see , that will come later today.....

After cleaning it out hopefully it fires up. Keep us posted

Reactions: Dickie

Ok I see the refractory pocket/box, I see now that it's not just a little cement around the combustor. Mine does look like new so maybe I am in luck there....Tnx

Do you know how that thing works? I am looking at the specs and also at the stove and for the life of me I cannot see where the reburned smoke/gas exits? The damper is fully closed to initiate the combustor....

Ok I see the refractory pocket/box, I see now that it's not just a little cement around the combustor. Mine does look like new so maybe I am in luck there....Tnx

Do you know how that thing works? I am looking at the specs and also at the stove and for the life of me I cannot see where the reburned smoke/gas exits? The damper is fully closed to initiate the combustor....

Keep the damper/ combustor open until Stove hits 500 degrees and then close the combustor. The catalyst will combust most of the gasses that's why the chamber is closed. Some smoke will still migrate up the stack

Keep the damper/ combustor open until Stove hits 500 degrees and then close the combustor. The catalyst will combust most of the gasses that's why the chamber is closed. Some smoke will still migrate up the stack

Ok, I've been doing that by way of the instruction book that came with it, I just meant how does it work meaning with the damper door closed I just can't see where the gases go, like if I had a cross section of the stove I might see it. Were starting a fire now so we'll see what happens...Tnx

Well it's burning better then before, I have some flame with the combustor engaged ( which we didn't before) heat is staying up and not dying out, also no smoke outside or so damn little it's hard to see,seems to be working much better....Hard to believe just a cleaning would do that...Well live and learn, hopefully it stays that way.

That's great

Exhaust travels down through the cat into the refractory box and exits out each side of the refractory box and up the chimney. That is if your refractory assembly is like the one in my encore. Make sure your primary air is all the way open when you engage the cat. A good investment would be a digital probe thermometer for your cat. Auber Instruments AT 100. Do you know the condition of the wood you are burning? Moisture content needs to be below 20%. Below 18% is even better.

Exhaust travels down through the cat into the refractory box and exits out each side of the refractory box and up the chimney. That is if your refractory assembly is like the one in my encore. Make sure your primary air is all the way open when you engage the cat. A good investment would be a digital probe thermometer for your cat. Auber Instruments AT 100. Do you know the condition of the wood you are burning? Moisture content needs to be below 20%. Below 18% is even better.
Tnx Randy, I could swear I saw a youtube saying run the air at the minus level and this unit self controls from there......It's been running good today, better then ever, 650 all day the use of wood has slowed down, the wood is cores from making plywood, 3.5 " rounds 8'6" lg that I cut to 14" long.
I'll double check the air intake, tnx for the comments.

I run in bypass until flue temps are between 350-400 degrees. Close damper. Let cat run up to 900 degrees and then start closing primary in increments until the stove has settled in and cruising at my desired heat output.

I run in bypass until flue temps are between 350-400 degrees. Close damper. Let cat run up to 900 degrees and then start closing primary in increments until the stove has settled in and cruising at my desired heat output.
I don't have a cat thermometer, so not sure what it does, but we get a nice fire going for 1/2 hr, build some coals and then fire the cat off and if she's ready it kicks in if not then we close the damper and go for a little longer then try again, it usually goes first time if we wait the proper amount of time.
We went to bed last night at ten and I loaded 6 of the small rounds I have and put the cat on and no fire when we woke at at 7 but the stove was still warm and thats new, so it's all good....Tnx