Ventis HE325 fireplace vs Osburn Stratus II vs Osburn Everest II (N/S Loading)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

teswanson

Jun 20, 2024
Ventis seems to be a slight variation of the Everest II, even though it requires a slightly smaller opening. I also noticed that it does not have a "stop/step" to limit N/S loading. It seems the Ventis HE325 would support up to 16" logs for N/S loading. Am I reading this correctly? Does anyone have the HE325 who could confirm this? Thank you.

16" N/S looks tight. 15" would be better as it could be loaded both N/S and E/W at the back of the firebox which pinches down abit. Compare to another SBI fireplace, the Valcourt FP10 Lafayette.

HE325
Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 9.59.07 AM.png

FP10
Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 10.03.49 AM.png

Thank you.

Any idea why some of these fireplaces have a "stop" that limits N/S loading sizes, while others do not?

I understand the reason is to keep pieces of wood and hot embers away from the door, but why don't all fireplaces have them?

The FP10 looks like a bigger Fire Box, but the firestop limits the size.

The stop or andirons are usually to prevent E/W loaded logs from rolling up against the glass. Take a look at the PE FP 30 for a true 18" N/S loading fireplace.

The stop or andirons are usually to prevent E/W loaded logs from rolling up against the glass. Take a look at the PE FP 30 for a true 18" N/S loading fireplace.
Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, my chase opening is limited to 42.5". My depth is 36.5", but it seems most are in the 24-26" range. I wish there were more fireplaces with deeper fireboxes....