venting on king 5502

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete43906

Aug 9, 2015
Ohio
Hello all! Been creeping this site for awhile and finally joined. Bought a new king 5502 and its replacing my old basement wood/coal burner. Getting to old for the wood gathering episodes. I'm taking my time with the install and my install directions says not to run exhaust into chimney without running pipe to top..? I have an external block and clay chimney for my old wood burner I want to use. Its not being used for anything and isn't very old. Must I run pipe all the way up? Always had great draft. 8 inch liner. I'm also running 2 inch fresh air from outside.
I bought a 3inch stainless flexible vent six feet long as to keep from using 90s. What would be wrong with stubbing into chimney? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Welcome to the forum Pete. Member Owen1508 is a US stoves tech. I have seen issues arise if there is warranty work required if the stove is not installed exactly per their manual. You can consult the NFPA 211 (2010) code requirements as that is the standard US Stoves is working with. Local building officials can give you guidance too.

I have seen adapters from pellet vent to stove vent but am not sure if creosote or draft issues may occur. I'm sure others will chime in...

Status
Not open for further replies.