VC Vigilant questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MontanaLife

Mar 24, 2023
NW Montana
Hi, a couple questions about my new to me Vigilant.

1. What is the purpose of the bypass?
2. Can you buy or make handles for the door handle and bypass handle?

The bypass routs the smokepath through channels for more complete secondary combustion and longer burns. A good place to learn about the stove and how it is run is to download the manual which covers the 4 original models including the Vigilant. It's in 3 parts here:

Vigilant drop-handles are available from multiple sources. Here is an Amazon link for one.
Amazon product ASIN B00NU84ZNM

I have sat down several times and just read through my manual, sometimes to try to troubleshoot an issue I am having , sometimes to refresh my memory on something, sometimes make sure I am doing the right thing in terms of cleaning.
It is a good read and gives theory and lots of valuable information. They are available online to print out or for sale in hard copy.

This is a great resource too, but don’t discredit the manufacturer itself as a great source.