VC Resolute Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I thought that the collar accepts a 6" round stove pipe that is slightly ovalized at the crimped end but it has been decades since I worked on a Resolute.

Reactions: VC Resolute III
I thought that the collar accepts a 6" round stove pipe that is slightly ovalized at the crimped end but it has been decades since I worked on a Resolute.
So, VC says if you are certain it's a version 3 then its a 6 inch round that you very slightly push on and install. It may have been awhile but you are exactly correct. Thanks very much.

Morning all. UPDATE.

So, all the soot has been removed. What s XZZ!!!!!))))0 mess!! The flue being 12" X 12" and the dump pipe being 6" ovalized meant that when my FIL used a brush from the top down most of the soot fell around the ovalized pipe and piled up. I squeezed up on top of the stove and pushed up on what I thought was solid stuff and it was not and down it came. What a mess and I was covered. My wife ran in and could see I was livid and she just kept walking...LOL. I used my shop vac with a fine particulate filter and went to work and got all the soot out.

So there is no way I am repeating the mickey mouse installation of 1985 where the installer flattened the dump pipe to get it to pass through the old damper. So out with my trusty Sawzall and several new blades I squeezed over the stove again and cut out sections of the old damper so I now have a large enough opening for my flex pipe. THIS WAS NOT EASY.

In speaking with VC i did learn that the 6 inch butterfly damper installed in the black stove pipe just above the stove throat was not a factory thing but added later and most likely by my FIL.

I am researching liners and needed items now and have been looking at Fireside Supply as well as Rockford. Both companies seem solid and with everything I need added up Rockford is only about $100 higher than Fireside for everything.

I do like the smooth wall flexible liner and really not that much more than the standard. I need the 20 foot kit but will only need 17 feet of it. I am going to insulate as well.

Getting a 12" X 12" flue cover for the top and a wind/rain resistant pipe cap to finish it of. $1100-$1200 when all is said and done.

Thanks again.

I do like the smooth wall flexible liner and really not that much more than the standard. I need the 20 foot kit but will only need 17 feet of it. I am going to insulate as well.
Don't use the two-ply smooth wall liner. This type often has problems with delamination and fish-mouthing on the interior. Go for a medium or heavy-duty single-ply liner.

Don't use the two-ply smooth wall liner. This type often has problems with delamination and fish-mouthing on the interior. Go for a medium or heavy-duty single-ply liner.

These are the two I am looking at. They both seem very similar and 7 ply each.

Here is what can happen with 2 ply liners:
This is an alternative to consider:

Here is what can happen with 2 ply liners:
This is an alternative to consider:
Thanks, I am a bit confused though. Both of the ones I am looking at say 7 ply. Am I getting mixed up as they are really 2 ply?

Hmmmm......is the 7 ply seams with 2 inner linings just word salad for bottom line being its a 2 ply liner?

Thanks again.

Rock-Flex chimney liners are fabricated with 316Ti .006 stainless steel, have 7 ply seams with 10 corrugations per seam, air and water tight, and provide the best flexibility and strength to contain moisture and flue gases. Our Smooth Wall Deluxe chimney liners are fabricated with 316L .013 stainless steel and have 7 ply seams with 2 inner linings. Use our flexible chimney liners inside a masonry chimney with stoves, fireplaces, inserts and more. Round flue liners are the most common type of flexible liner. In the case that you can't fit the ideal size round liner down your flue, a shaped liner is the next best choice. If you have questions, please contact us! We'll be glad to help you choose the correct size chimney liner.