VC Montpelier longer burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Turfguy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Niskayuna, NY
Have only had this stove 10 months but I can’t for the life of me get more than a 4hr Burn . Anytime I go 6 or 8hrs between fills the red coals are deep in ash and tiny to the point that I need to use fat wood to start a new fire. Anyone with any luck please bestow your knowledge on me, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to make sure the stove doesn't have any air leaks. How are the gaskets?

Split your wood larger. Burn hardwood. Follow the instructions in the manual and turn the air down as much as possible.

....and if you want long burn times, pick a stove that is known to provide them. The one you have isn't really known for great burn times.

Give details of your wood, operation, and venting and we can fine it down a bit more. You should be able to get more than 4 hours.

I have a Montpelier and normally get about 6 hour burns on a normal full load of red oak splits. I can push it to 8 hours with enough coals for an easy restart using larger splits that are uniform shaped and packed in tightly in the stove. When I go for 8 hours I leave about an inch on either side and the top. I also stack the wood all the way to the andirons in the front. I leave minimal space between the splits and as soon as I have a good burn going turn the air all the way down.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Turfguy and jetsam