VC encore 2140 primary air damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kcd660

Feb 14, 2019
Missouri
recently bought a new house and now I have a wood stove and it has issues . I can start a small fire with 1 or 2 pieces of wood that’s 2-3 inch thick and get to 600 deg and they burn out quick that is with the primary air damper closed handle closed but I think the damper is broken because it looks to be 1/3 inch open in the closed position and you. Can push on the damper and it will open easy. Nothing holding it closed. Does anybody with a stove like one have any advice? Thanks

The draft control "flap" on the back of the stove should be open slightly when the stove is dead cold. As it heats, the bi-metal coil in the thermostat assembly will expand and allow it to close fully. The flapper will move freely if you push on it, yes.

People often mistake air leaks in Encores for draft control issues. It APPEARS the draft control isn't doing its job, but it is. There's probably enough air leaking in elsewhere that it doesn't matter whether it's open or closed. Get a gasket kit, install it. Should help.