VC defiant 2n1 vs Hearthstone Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunz-n-hoses

Jan 24, 2014
New York
Hello friends I am new to this site and I was hoping to tap into the wealth of expertise and knowledge of this forum. I am a new home owner and i am currently shopping around for a wood burning stove. I grew up with one in my parents house and have been anxiously waiting for the chance to have one installed in my new home for my family and I to enjoy for years to come. After a vast amount of researching and window shopping, Im torn between the VC defiant 2n1 and the Hearthstone Manchester. Both have very similar specs as far as BTU, fire box size, and log size capacity. I know that the VC is a cat stove but can be run as a non cat as well. I was hoping for some advice from more experienced homeowner/woodburners on here who could maybe point me in the right direction. Any input would be very much appreciated, thank you.

You are going to get a lot of people telling you to run away screaming from VC. They are beautiful stoves, but they are complex and temperamental. The downdraft design needs a strong draft to work well and they are more maintenance intensive than average. They can produce good heat, but they a not set and forget/idiot proof.

Its an OK choice if you know what you are getting into and like to fiddle, but if you just want no hassle heat best to look elsewhere.

I am a current VC owner btw.

I don't have a 2 in 1, but a 1989 VC Defiant Encore 0028 they were called back then. I too like to fiddle and maintain things and these VC stoves are just that. You need to fiddle to get them working just right. I am still learning this stove all over again since I installed a new liner and just rebuilt entire stove. It sure gets hot and heats the entire house but sometimes it gets too hot if I dont take a few minutes after reloading to cut air back quicker then before the liner install. All said I still love the VC stove

Thanks jharkin for the quick reply. I agree they are beautiful stoves and that they are complex. Im a little worried it might be confusing for my wife to use but she does like the overall design of the defiant especially with the warming shelves and enamel smoke pipe options. I am concerned on the overall customer service of VC i have read some negative things and especially with so many parts something breaking seems inevitable i feel. Jharkin being a VC owner have you dealt with the companys customer service department any?

VC directs all service requests though dealers. I've bought parts and just do the work myself. I happen to enjoy wrenching on it. They are not overly breakdown prone but things do wear out eventually with use. The iron castings themselves are very durable and can last a loooooong time if its maintained. I grew up with a 79 resolute my parents still use.

My wife is afraid to touch the stove... 'Too many levers'

Yes the stove can intimidating for a newbie but i like the overall efficiency of the cat stove and the ability to remove the cat if i choose to. Thanks for the input as well Excavator.

Status
Not open for further replies.