Using a PE Summit insert C series-how hot to run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

donmac

Jun 3, 2015
Cincinnati Ohio
I have the Summit installed in fireplace with insulated liner, block off plate and inside air supply.
1. I have an inferno stove top temp gauge installed on insert front and center right above door and under upper bay top.
2. When loading for overnight burn with seasoned wood, gauge goes past 700 degrees(highest marking) to about 750-775?(guessing)
Am I over firing? Am I using suitable gauge or need something else? Is it properly located, if so where? What temp should stove run at with full load of seasoned wood?
3. I am confused about possible mods to boost manifold if too much air in is causing insert to run too hot.
4. all suggestions appreciated

You're fine. It will peak at those temps, and settle down after the secondaries burn off the volatile gases.

You're fine. It will peak at those temps, and settle down after the secondaries burn off the volatile gases.
I understand. The insert stayed at that temp for about 2+ hours before slowly falling. At what temp am I exceeding mfg specs and is my gauge appropriate? What is your reaction to my temp gauge and placement. Is there something else I should use?
Thanks for you help again

How tall is the liner on the insert?

My preference is to run the stove a bit less hot. Ours has only gone past 700F a few times and each time it has been due to my inattention. To slow the burn down try larger splits and turn down the air more aggressively and sooner. Also, if reloading, move the coals forward and try an E/W load.

How tall is the liner on the insert?

My preference is to run the stove a bit less hot. Ours has only gone past 700F a few times and each time it has been due to my inattention. To slow the burn down try larger splits and turn down the air more aggressively and sooner. Also, if reloading, move the coals forward and try an E/W load.
Liner is 18'. Am I getting a good reading with that gauge . Gauge placement options are few as best I can see.

I have two temp gauges on mine, one on each side of the door on the top. I usually stay about 600 To 650. So pretty close to what you are doing. Once you turn on the fan your temp will drop a little. I have a 17 foot insulated liner. I'm not entirely sure where the best spot to put the temp gauges is. I think I put them there because someone on this site recommended it. For what it is worth the temp is usually pretty close between the two gauges. And they are two different kinds.

Liner height is perfect. Try the few suggestions made earlier to see if they help.

Liner height is perfect. Try the few suggestions made earlier to see if they help.
One last question, after trying suggestions and problem persists, do I want to consider covering some holes on boost manifold or bad idea?

One last question, after trying suggestions and problem persists, do I want to consider covering some holes on boost manifold or bad idea?
No, not until you have exhausted all other efforts.

Get a cheapy IR thermometer so you can confirm the temp of what you have and shoot other areas of the stove. Those stove top thermos can be way off in both directions. Maybe is maybe isn't.

Reactions: Squisher