Used Enviro EF-3 Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caper_phil

Oct 12, 2019
Canada
Hello Everyone! I am hoping someone can answer a simple question about a 2006 Enviro EF3 fireplace insert.
I am totally new to pellet stoves (have always had cord wood stoves). I bought this stove for 300$ and knew it was not working but figured I could take a chance and possibly fix it (if cost is not too high, don't want to throw good money after bad). The problem is that the auger is jamming....I read up on this and immediately checked the bushing to find owner had replaced it with a nylatron bushing and new endplate. After verifying blower fans and mainboard/power, everything else checked out so I bought stove and brought it home. Once I started taking the bolts off the endplate I noticed something that didn't make sense, the bolts had nuts. I would've figured the frame would be tapped for the bolt. The reason I say this is because of how difficult it was to get the top bolt off since the nut was not reachable, had to use pressure on endplate while removing bolt. My question is.....do these endplates attach with nut and bolt or just screw to frame? Looking at the frame holes, they seem to have a thread.
Thanks for any help!

I have only ever seen them held in place by four 8mm hex screws

After removing the auger motor easy to get at ( held in place by locking bolt in collar )

I have only ever seen them held in place by four 8mm hex screws

After removing the auger motor easy to get at ( held in place by locking bolt in collar )
Thanks for the confirmation!
I replaced all 4 bolts and nuts (3 were stripped) and cleaned out auger and re-assembled and it turns like a top....
I found the weirdest thing at the base of the auger though that I knew was not supposed to be there, a large washer that went around the nylatron fitting. I don't mean the lock nut that hold the nylatron in place, but a washer from a hardware store on inside of plate. I have no idea why previous owner would put it in place but it has caused some wear at the base of the auger and is causing some pitting on the nylatron bushing. Seems to be working ok for now, but may be looking at new auger and plate in the future.

Glad you were able to repair it and
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Caper_phil
EF-3s are a real workhorse- nice heat too.