US Stove Ashley 5500XL not putting out heat and not feeding enough pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lcrumbau

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2008
N Michigan
I just purchased my first pellet stove last week and installed it myself. With their recommended vent kit that goes out the wall and up 4 feet. It has a 300lb hopper, electronic light, etc... It fired right up. But despite purchase a ton of pellets from Ace (where I purchased the stove) that they swear are the best, and another ton at Bosman's that I seen in several demo units burning great, My unit did not put out much heat. The fire looked a little lazy but not a lot. The glass did blacken up some. I called and they had me hit the B and C button until it display P 1 . Then they had me hit the on and then up arrow to change the default 2 heat and 2 blower to 3 and 3. The blower obviously went up. The flame got whiter and absolutely no soot on glass. However, it only burns for about 3-5 minutes and the flame dies back down to nothing, then after a while will go back up, then back down - non-stop. The adjustment is from 1 low to 9 high. It won't even stay burning at 2 and sometime's will go out even at 4. The auger turns, just not enough. I let it run out to look for blockage and it doesn't appear there is any. It actually acts like change the speed of the auger (I changed it even higher) never actually changes the amount it drops into the firebox. Also, from the factory it was supposed to be set (in their secret screen you get to by pressing the B&C;buttons) it's supposed to be 2 & 2. My was 0 and 2. Also when you just push the A and the B buttons the default was supposed to by 8 and 8. Mine was 9 & 6. However, this appeared to be properly packaged from the factory so it couldn't have ever sat in the store.

I suspect it's got a bad control board? Has anyone dealt with this model and have any ideas (note: it's the same control board that's on the 6039 model - which is what I wanted to purchase but they got backordered by 4 - 5 months. thanks in advance.

That stove sounds like one complicated piece of equipment. I would get back on the phone with the place you purchased it and tell them to send over a tech to check everything out for proper operation. I have a afton bay by st croix and it runs off a t-stat and i never have to touch the stove exceot to add pellets and clean it. Good luck. I hope someone else has one of these stoves and can be of more help.

I have some weird problems with mine also. same 5500XL but my stove seems to lose power for a split second once in a while. Also I know what you mean by the somewhat lazy flame it seems when you first start it you can't hear the exhaust blower at all then when the ignitor starts the exhaust goes to full speed then back back down to almost nothing. I made them send me a new control board still same issue. I have clean electrical lines and have all kind of sensitive computer equipment that never had a problem so i doubt it is in my wiring. Also does your room blower howl at 4,5, and 6?

Yes my blower does howl. The power does somekind of hiccup thing. Mine starts well and burns well with black soot. I guess I need to due some adjustments with the A B C buttons. My exhaust does the samething. I thought it was to get the fire going then it dies down. That's not normal?

Most hardware and big box brands don't have warranties that cover anyone coming over to the house - or at least we've never had a report of that here on the forum. I agree that with a new stove - the customer should not be expected to do anything....other than just checking a thing or two. I know a lot of us like to fix things....but that should not be needed for a couple years!

At first glance the problem sounds like a high limit sensor of some type - that the stove would think it is getting too hot, turn itself down, then turn back to normal when it was cooler, etc.

If you are going to troubleshoot and fix the stove - you are going to need a service manual of some sort which the factory might have. With diagrams in hand, it will be easier to test as to where the problem lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.