uponor ecoflex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea5232

Oct 4, 2011
Central Minnesota
new to the forum, and have a question. After reading the sticky on not skimping on the underground line. how does this stuff compare to other brands of underground?

Thanks, Mike

I haven't heard of it before, but, I have the highest regard for wirsbo....uponors old name. I just took a quick look and it looks very similar to the microflex stuff, which is supposed to be very good. I used the microflex. Is it better than the rest? I don't know....but I think it is more expsensive! :( And don't forget the connectors on the ends. Mine were $70 a pop, times 8, for connectors! Now, they go on like a dream and no soldering or crimping...etc...and haven't leaked. But $70? Each one weighs a couple of pounds I think....
I think I paid about $3 a foot for the stuff...that was two 1.25" lines inside the pipe. Not cheap. When I get my system switched over to the buried microflex, I'll be able to provide more info. I have 80' of it.

EDIT: I forgot a zero....$30 a foot. It wasn't quite 30....though I'd have to dig up the full price. Closer to 23.00 I think...

Well...

1) from the name (Uponor) you know it will be possibly the highest priced product out there...

2) you know it is probably the highest quality product out there...

3) you might guess it is NOT available from discount online sources.

I might be wrong on any or all of these points.

I've only read the company literature on it but it strikes me as a commercial product where lowest up-front cost is not necessarily the cheapest way to go. If you're building a structure that is expected to outlast everyone that watched it go up and you're paying union labor rates and everyday the project is not finished is costing you tens of thousands of dollars you might not be looking for what the rest of us can afford.

If I were heating a remote structure and wanted something that was very efficient and would last a century or two and I had recently won a substantial lottery, it would be one of the first things I would order.

Thanks for the info. on it The only reason I am considering it is because my buddy can get me a great deal on it because his company uses so much of it. And being that it is a little higher priced than the CB ThermoPex, if it was better i was going to use uponor's pipe. if it wasnt i would just go with ThermoPex.

Hi
Read the sticky on underground lines!!!
I did my lines last year,120ft run one way.
I used a good quality pex line and foamed in place,i tried for about 6" around each line.
It was expencive were i live.
With no load on the house i can't read any temp drop from the outgoing to incoming lines from my boiler bldg,using a handheld IR gun.
Read the sticky.
Good luck on your install
Thomas

mikea5232 said:
Thanks for the info. on it The only reason I am considering it is because my buddy can get me a great deal on it because his company uses so much of it. And being that it is a little higher priced than the CB ThermoPex, if it was better i was going to use uponor's pipe. if it wasnt i would just go with ThermoPex.

Do you know of anybody that sells ThermoPex 1&1/4 inch in lengths less then 300 feet. I don't need that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.