1" Flue Reduction on 40' Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

timladams

Feb 27, 2024
Pennsylvania
I currently heat my house with wood & coal, but mostly wood, especially in these mild winters that we have been having. My current set up is a Brunco 150 with an 8" outlet into an 8" x 12" chimney flue. My chimney is outside the house on the west side and is 36' from outside ground level to the top of the flue with another 5' underground to where the stove outlet comes in. My Bronco furnace has reached the end of its life and so I am looking at replacing it with a Kozy-King 300-09. I am also looking into lining the chimney with a single wall stainless steel liner with insulation poured? in around the liner (between the liner and the brick). The installer said that he will break out the existing terracotta liner and install a 7" single wall stainless steel liner.

My question is whether the 1" reduction is advisable. I would like to have an 8" liner installed, but the installer said that he often can't get an 8" liner into the chimney after he has removed an 8" terracotta flue.

Chimney 1.jpg Chimney 2.jpg

I currently heat my house with wood & coal, but mostly wood, especially in these mild winters that we have been having. My current set up is a Brunco 150 with an 8" outlet into an 8" x 12" chimney flue. My chimney is outside the house on the west side and is 36' from outside ground level to the top of the flue with another 5' underground to where the stove outlet comes in. My Bronco furnace has reached the end of its life and so I am looking at replacing it with a Kozy-King 300-09. I am also looking into lining the chimney with a single wall stainless steel liner with insulation poured? in around the liner (between the liner and the brick). The installer said that he will break out the existing terracotta liner and install a 7" single wall stainless steel liner.

My question is whether the 1" reduction is advisable. I would like to have an 8" liner installed, but the installer said that he often can't get an 8" liner into the chimney after he has removed an 8" terracotta flue.

View attachment 325240 View attachment 325241
Check with the furnace manufacturer what size they require at that height

I am also looking into lining the chimney with a single wall stainless steel liner with insulation poured? in around the liner (between the liner and the brick).
Why not a flex liner with insulation blanket?
Generally you can go up or down 1" and make it work, but like B said above, check with the manufacturer.
Just FYI, I see lightly used Brunco's for sale sometimes...did you like it enough to go back to one?