Upgrade or add second Unit???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I have been thinking of upgrading from my Napoleon 1101 insert for a year or so. I want longer burn times so as to better heat our 1900 square foot split level. Insert is in the lowest level (but not the basement). So I am not trying to heat from the basement like some. House is 4 levels with a finished basement but for the sake of this discussion, pretend there are 3. The 1101 does a good job but does struggle much past. 6-7 hour burn on the cold (teens) nights.

My thought process is this, I either want to replace the 1101 with a larger insert capable of loading N/S with 16-18 inch splits instead of the 12 inch splits needed now (which I do not cut). 1101 firebox is 1.7 cf. would want something considerably larger. No sense in upgrading to only go up to 1.9 or 2.1. I have not done much research thus far but read a lot on here so know who the heavy hitters are when it comes to good inserts and stoves. I would not be opposed to a cat insert like a BK, but I don’t want to start a riot by stating so.

The other thought process would be this, keep the 1101 and run it as normal. Then, in the level above the insert room In the living room (same level as the kitchen, dining, Florida room and eat in kitchen) add a second unit. This would require a from-scratch install. I would want a stove, not an insert. My thought process on this is it would funnel heat from the third level of the house up to the 4th (bedrooms and two out of 3 baths) possibly better than that of an upgraded insert. I am however hesitant on running two units (work load). I enjoy burning and don’t want to burn (pun intended) my self out.

Thoughts?

Both approaches will work. If a 3 cu ft insert will fit and this is where the family spends a lot of time, then that would be a good fit. If adding another to a different area is also where the family likes to hang out, then again it would add more value, especially if bringing in wood to that location is not a nuisance. But it would not change the burn time of the 1100. Two stoves is more work, but during milder weather maybe just run one.

If you're adequately heating the areas where you spend your time but just not getting the burn times then upgrade. Make sure you add a block-off plate if you don't already have one.

Another thing to consider is how easy will it be haul wood into the new location if you did add another stove? I have another location where I could add an additional stove but don't want the extra work either.

I add a freestanding cat stove in the upstairs, buy a stove that can be turned low incase the heat output is to much, a nice BK or Woodstock will fit the bill.

Reactions: weatherguy
I add a freestanding cat stove in the upstairs, buy a stove that can be turned low incase the heat output is to much, a nice BK or Woodstock will fit the bill.

I have been leaning this way for a while however it would be considerably more expensive given the need for a liner install. I can get over that concept by simply saving a little more money but do you think running two units would be too much? I know Ashful does it I think...? Or maybe it’s Weatherguy?

Too much from a work perspective, not heat. I agree it would need to be a good (controllable) unit.

It is hard to tell what will work best but I will vote for second install. When my situation is different than yours, lay out wise, I did benefit of a second install.
You have to clean two stoves, chimneys etc, but wood wise is the same. When cold outside, or you use two loads a day on one and try to move heat to other parts of the house or load each one and have more even heat around the house without worry to much of how distribute the heat. You always have the choice of run just one if that is enough like in shoulder seasons. If you decide a second install, possibly can be good a cat stove. Hope this help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bushels20
Both approaches will work. If a 3 cu ft insert will fit and this is where the family spends a lot of time, then that would be a good fit. If adding another to a different area is also where the family likes to hang out, then again it would add more value, especially if bringing in wood to that location is not a nuisance. But it would not change the burn time of the 1100. Two stoves is more work, but during milder weather maybe just run one.

The 3 cu ft insert is the range where i would want to be. I need to do some measuring and see what would work. This won’t happen this year and I hope i can find a good used unit. Almost bit the bullet on a Quadra fire 5100 this fall but read some reviews on the side glass getting unreasonably and uncleanably dirty that scared me. 1 season old for 2500 with double wall insulated liner (35 feet).

If there's room the Osburn 2400, Regency i3100, Pacific Energy Summit, Lopi Freedom should work.

If there's room the Osburn 2400, Regency i3100, Pacific Energy Summit, Lopi Freedom should work.

Here’s a question. One I have never wondered about until I started thinking about insert upgrade.

Blowers. I understand CFM, generally. After that, I don’t know much. I know the big brother of my insert, the Napoleon 1402 has two blowers compared to my 1101 (it’s) one.

Do larger units utilize 2 blowers in the 160 CFM range, or one big 300 CFM blower (for instance)? My brief research before this specific post seems to show that two blowers is an oddity (like I referenced in the Napoleon 1402).

I didn’t find any other major inserts (not that Napoleon is) with 2 blowers, in my brief search.

The PE Summit has 2 blowers. Some others have a pair of transaxial blower fans on a common shaft with one motor.

Reactions: Bushels20
If a bigger stove will do the job you'll save a lot of money doing it that way. Plus less work and you can sell your insert and get a little to help with the new purchase.

The PE Summit has 2 blowers. Some others have a pair of transaxial blower fans on a common shaft with one motor.

I have been doing some reading on the 4 you referenced above and it seems like Osburn (may) be a bit of a more “ma and pop” type shop. Which is important to me. When I need help, service and parts that is important, for me. Also, Osburn bosts the (legit or not?) the best BTUs, log length, and burn times are respectable. And by far the largest fire box size at 3.4 cf.

To the extent which you or anyone else can, is there any input on that particular aspect and also the quality of Osburn as compared to the other major players?