UPDATE: MS 310 confusion? DOLMAR???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLogger

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2009
Western Oregon
Well I'm a little confused about the info I read about the Stihl MS 290 and 310s. It seems that people here on Hearth generally have good things to say about them, but arboristsite guys arent so loving. I have a 372XPW that I love, but I want a mid sized saw to do smaller projects and as a backup. I think the MS 290 or 310 are what I have narrowed it down to. I know the 361/362 are pro saws and probably better, but I have my XPW for that. I dont want to spend $600, but I'm comfortable with the $400+/- for either of these two models. I need a saw that will run a 24" bar, and these will do it. Remember, I'm a west coast guy so I'm mostly in fir and alder. So what is the deal? Why the difference of opinions?

Thanks guys,

RL

24in. bar go 310... arboistite site is mostly pro's cutters cutting for a living and a mid range saw for them is out of the question...

RiverLogger said:
Well I'm a little confused about the info I read about the Stihl MS 290 and 310s. It seems that people here on Hearth generally have good things to say about them, but arboristsite guys arent so loving. I have a 372XPW that I love, but I want a mid sized saw to do smaller projects and as a backup. I think the MS 290 or 310 are what I have narrowed it down to. I know the 361/362 are pro saws and probably better, but I have my XPW for that. I dont want to spend $600, but I'm comfortable with the $400+/- for either of these two models. I need a saw that will run a 24" bar, and these will do it. Remember, I'm a west coast guy so I'm mostly in fir and alder. So what is the deal? Why the difference of opinions?

Thanks guys,

RL

I don't think Stihl recommends a 24 inch bar for either.

zap

zapny said:
RiverLogger said:
Well I'm a little confused about the info I read about the Stihl MS 290 and 310s. It seems that people here on Hearth generally have good things to say about them, but arboristsite guys arent so loving. I have a 372 that I love, but I want a mid sized saw to do smaller projects and as a backup. I think the MS 290 or 310 are what I have narrowed it down to. I know the 361/362 are pro saws and probably better, but I have my XPW for that. I dont want to spend $600, but I'm comfortable with the $400+/- for either of these two models. I need a saw that will run a 24" bar, and these will do it. Remember, I'm a west coast guy so I'm mostly in fir and alder. So what is the deal? Why the difference of opinions?

Thanks guys,

RL

I don't think Stihl recommends a 24 inch bar for either.

zap

they don't (16-20) but you have 2 choice's lol the 310 now is a 311.

311 gonna be more money.....You might get away with a 24" bar on a 310 if you do a muffler mod... I would run full skip and stay it the softer stuff...Muffler mods are real easy on these type saws too..Just have to drill in the dimple then open the deflector....

Really for that chain length you need a 390 or 044...You can find a nice one used for your price range...

Good luck.......

O and the folks over at the other site would not believe how many folks around here are still cutting timber with 029's and 310's and the real hard core still running there 031's and 041's........................

The local dealer here has a price sheet that offers the 290 and 310 with 25" bar. I know its alot of bar for these saws, but I had a 460 Rancher that had a 24" bar and it had less HP than these, so I know they'll pull it. Thats why I mentioned that I'm a west coaster, so you'd understand my fetish with large bars :lol:

RL

My favorite go to saw is still my MS 290 with a muffler mod...I'm running .325 .63 20"

My FIL now is running a 310 and a 361...I don't see the big deal over the 361...When we work together he gets mad because I would rather run my saw then his...

RiverLogger said:
The local dealer here has a price sheet that offers the 290 and 310 with 25" bar. I know its alot of bar for these saws, but I had a 460 Rancher that had a 24" bar and it had less HP than these, so I know they'll pull it. Thats why I mentioned that I'm a west coaster, so you'd understand my fetish with large bars :lol:

RL

west coast does things different then mid west and east coast I caught that from you first post! lol heck big red would run the 60in. on a 310...lol

southbound said:
311 gonna be more money.....You might get away with a 24" bar on a 310 if you do a muffler mod... I would run full skip and stay it the softer stuff...Muffler mods are real easy on these type saws too..Just have to drill in the dimple then open the deflector....

Really for that chain length you need a 390 or 044...You can find a nice one used for your price range...

Good luck.......
+1 find a good reputable stihl dealer , I am sure he has a bunch of used saws and grab yourself a used 440 , its almost the same weight only has a bunch more ponies.

Adios Pantalones said:
24" bar on a 290- yoiks. That's a lot of chain for that saw.
I agree, but I run a 20" semi chisel on my old 028 and I bet you could do a full skip on a 24 (on that 290) and it would be ok. It's not gonna be ideal, but it should work just fine.

Danno77 said:
Adios Pantalones said:
24" bar on a 290- yoiks. That's a lot of chain for that saw.
I agree, but I run a 20" semi chisel on my old 028 and I bet you could do a full skip on a 24 (on that 290) and it would be ok. It's not gonna be ideal, but it should work just fine.

+1 and the softwoods he is doing he will do fine!

That's what I said..Full skip on a muffler modded 310 In soft wood....

I would still go 310 just because of the .375 set up instead of the stock 290 .325.................................

From what I've seen, this is a site for people who need equipment that works whereas Arboristsite.com is for people who love the gear. Sure, you can use a 290 and it will last a great long while, but it's not sa-weeet like a 361/2, 441, or 346/372XP.
I really like my MS250, and think it's way underrated, but I can totally tell the difference between it and my 361 (and the people at Arboristsite don't like my 250, either!).

S

I was in the same boat as you - I wanted a 360 but didn't want to blow my wad quite yet. I bought the 310 and have loved it. It's a great saw.

That being said....I don't think I'd love the saw as much running a huge bar (over 20"). The MS 310 I have is a dream with an 18" bar running full chisel chain. Much bigger on the bar and I think she'd be hurting a little...at least in hard woods.

southbound said:
I would still go 310 just because of the .375 set up instead of the stock 290 .325.................................

That's not a good reason. Out west, the 290s come equipped with 3/8" chain and a 20" bar by default. That's what I have and it works fine. A 24" bar is huge. We don't see many alders over 18" anymore and I love red alder even more than doug fir so I seek it out.

If you need a 24" bar then I would be going big like the 390 and then you are way out of the 400$ range. A few more bucks and you are at a 361/362.

Highbeam said:
southbound said:

That's not a good reason. Out west, the 290s come equipped with 3/8" chain and a 20" bar by default. That's what I have and it works fine. A 24" bar is huge. We don't see many alders over 18" anymore and I love red alder even more than doug fir so I seek it out.

If you need a 24" bar then I would be going big like the 390 and then you are way out of the 400$ range. A few more bucks and you are at a 361/362.

if your pulling a 3/8 20in. bar on a 290 good, seems to me that set up should be pretty darn good!

Highbeam said:
southbound said:

They will not sell a 290 here with 3/8 on it.They will charge you for the conversion....I was complaining just the other day at the shop bout having to pay now to switch over.... Learned something new....

I guess I have to ask, but why do you want to run a 24 inch bar on the 290/310 when you have a perfectly good 372 already? It seems like you are overlapping bar and power and weight somewhat. I would look at 260/346/5100 with a 16 or 18 bar, and get more spread between the two saws. For a one saw does all, the 55-60 cc seems like good choice, but as a second saw to what you have I would go smaller and lighter. kcj

I do alot of firewood cutting out of a skiff. Find logs, tow to the beach where my truck is and then cut them up there. I want this other saw to take in the skiff with me. I dont want to beat up the 372 since they are now on the endangered list so to speak. I find some big wood sometimes and need that bigger bar to cut off the root wads and such. I had a 460 Rancher before my 372 and it pulled a 24" b/c so I know I'll be fine with the 290/310 doing the same. All the shops around here offer a 24" b/c for both the 290 and 310. I realize it may not be ideal for cutting alot, but this saw will not be my processing saw. I just don't want to prematurely beat up my 372, but wouldn't feel bad doing it to a Stihl %-P

All kidding aside, I just want to make sure they are decent saws.

RL

RiverLogger said:
I do alot of firewood cutting out of a skiff. Find logs, tow to the beach where my truck is and then cut them up there. I want this other saw to take in the skiff with me. I dont want to beat up the 372 since they are now on the endangered list so to speak. I find some big wood sometimes and need that bigger bar to cut off the root wads and such. I had a 460 Rancher before my 372 and it pulled a 24" b/c so I know I'll be fine with the 290/310 doing the same. All the shops around here offer a 24" b/c for both the 290 and 310. I realize it may not be ideal for cutting alot, but this saw will not be my processing saw. I just don't want to prematurely beat up my 372, but wouldn't feel bad doing it to a Stihl %-P

All kidding aside, I just want to make sure they are decent saws.

RL

For what you are planning on doing I think really I would lookfor a 390 used or a 440 , Check a couple of shops , i think you really will be much happier.
The last saw that I bought and sold was a ms250 easy start I grabbed from a pawn shop > I was told the guy pawnd it off because he didnt need it and won it at a raffle . I got it for 225.00 with a case and a quart of bar oil and some mix oil and an extra chain . I dont think it ever cut a piece of wood . The guy had 10 stihl chainsaws there , some looked bad some looked great , I started a couple up I was interested in maybe but didnt buy anymore .
This is just another option if you are looking for a different saw .
My suggestion is a used 440 or a 390 for nearly the same wieght and alot more ponies .

your plan makes sense now. keep the 372 off the bottom of the river just in case sh.. happens......
so ideally a fairly big bar saw but cheap.
the HD makita 6400 is a good option, but they are hard to find from HD at $200. at new $500, out of price range.
I'd go the used route, and the 290 are sure common and reliable. just chubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.