Unloading the stove from the truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Snow banks picnic table plywood laminate flooring...Congrats on new stove.

A lot of trucks have anchor points in the bed. A couple snatch blocks could control the decent.

Unloaded stove (on a pallet) from pickup truck myself. Removed tailgate, constructed long ramp with 2x4s, cabled ramp to truck, furniture dolly at bottom of ramp. One slipped disk later, the stove was on the ground. BTW, I don't recommend this method.

i used a rolling engine hoist a few times, and a tractor another time. Both worked well.

I unloaded the same stove last year from the back of my truck with one other guy. I live in the great white North and have a second set of tires for summer and winter (I presume I'm not the only one!) so I stacked 2 tires on top of each other and put a piece of plywood on top, then 1 more tire in front of that one. Me and another guy then lowered the stove from the tailgate onto the plywood on the first "step" of tires, then down onto the second step of 1 tire and then slid off the last tire directly onto the hand truck. This only works if you have inflated tires on rims, but worked great for me, also as suggested previously I stripped the door, bricks, etc to lighten the load.

I will second the suggestion to use a utility trailer and hand truck, loaded and unloaded a stove all by myself when getting rid of the old one, didn't even need to take the wife up on her offer to "help"😂

Reactions: cron
I unloaded our cookstove by myself by using two ten-ft 2 x 10s. I made certain there were no loose knots or cracks in the boards. Tied them together with a couple short lengths of 2 x 6 screwed into the bottoms of the long boards so they couldn't slip apart and dump the stove. I seem to recall the stove in its crate was over 800 lb. I opened part of the crate while it was still in the bed of the pickup, then removed the doors and top inset [cast iron] and anything else I could, totaling 160 lb. Then I very, very, very slowly scooted the body of the stove down the 2 x 10, then used pieces of 2" iron pipe to roll the crate into and through the house. Strips of scrap ply on the wooden floors along which I rolled the thing. Took me all day, but did not hurt the floors, the stove, or myself.

I have an overhead hoist in my shop, so it's more or less cheating.

If I didn't I would put it in my utility trailer and just unhook it from the truck and lift the tongue to slide it out.

The engine hoist suggestion is also a good one, but I would say to make sure you get one that can lift tall enough while accounting for the needed rigging.

To get it into the house I took the door off and firebricks out, then just strapped it to a large hand dolly, rolled it through the door and in. I did need some blocking and plywood to get it over and across some things.

I have the same stove, it was installed TODAY and I'm watching the 1st fire with it as I type this. Congrats!
I got it out of my truck using a tractor with pallet forks. And then the installers used a refrigerator/appliance moving dolly to get it into the house and position.

I borrowed a ramp to unload it from the truck, and after fiddling with it for 10 minutes and second guessing the sturdiness of it, we decided to just lift the damn thing right out of the truck by hand. The PE Summit came on a small pallet frame, which is great b/c there really isn't many good grab points on the stove. Without the door and fire bricks, the stove was very manageable for 3 skinny guys. We recently had a sloppy winter storm that froze up into a sheet of ice over the course of the week, so it was easy to just slide the pallet across the yard. Then just one more lift to get it into position in the barn.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Writing this post during my first small fire to cure the paint.

Cheers,