Unique set up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Apr 12, 2022
Hampstead, MD
So I’ve posted pictures from my deck looking down at my 5 cord pile, included here is the setup, from the wood on pallets on cinder blocks for airflow, to my covered porch with the wood stove in it. My staging area for dry wood is under the deck. I move a half cord or so under it when needed. The “porch” is insulated with 2” panels cut to fit between joists . The windows are called sunspace and are plastic. I have a ceiling fan. And the roof is double plywood. The room is different than “in Home” stoves. It’s not insulated, so I burn pretty full open and it heats the 20x20 porch just fine now, but it also cools extremely fast once we turn in. I think that contributed to the grate warping. I replaced it. We are all set I have the 5 cords here and another 7 on a friend’s farm. I imagine it’s about 3 seasons out and I have wood to chop! I’m so thankful for this site. I remember when I first got the stove and had so many questions and everyone was very helpful. I love our setup. When it’s daytime, and snowing big flakes and we are looking out warm on the porch, it’s just great. Cheers

[Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up![Hearth.com] Unique set up!

How often do you hang out on/in the porch?

Actually almost every night. So in the winter it takes about two hours to get really comfortable out there. I get home from work ant 5 and get cracking . And we only stay for about three or four hours. Weekends though we will have a fire all day and night but not overnight.

Nice scenery to look out on and a warm porch after dragging wood up the steps even 6 logs at a time gets real old as you get older. Your wood pile looks successful with a lot of the work that was involved. You have a beautiful home in a good setting so why not for the heck of it check out having a elevator for the future....I know this is silly but at the age of almost 80 that's what I would do...Enjoy that cup of coffee as you experience the greening of your life...clancey

Actually almost every night. So in the winter it takes about two hours to get really comfortable out there. I get home from work ant 5 and get cracking . And we only stay for about three or four hours. Weekends though we will have a fire all day and night but not overnight.
For that much use i'd be thinking about insulating. You would burn so much less firewood and could kick a lot of extra heat from the porch into your house.

It does not look like it would be that big a job.

That fun kinda wears off over
That fun kinda wears off over time.

For that much use i'd be thinking about insulating. You would burn so much less firewood and could kick a lot of extra heat from the porch into your house.

It does not look like it would be that big a job.
You mean the ceiling? Upu are right and it’s possible for sure. Currently it does spill into and warm the first floor. Best Scenario would be blown in expanding insulation under the deck and close up the rafters. Perhaps one day ! Right now it’s basic.

You mean the ceiling? Upu are right and it’s possible for sure. Currently it does spill into and warm the first floor. Best Scenario would be blown in expanding insulation under the deck and close up the rafters. Perhaps one day ! Right now it’s basic.
Yes the roof rafters is what i'd insulate.

Nice scenery to look out on and a warm porch after dragging wood up the steps even 6 logs at a time gets real old as you get older. Your wood pile looks successful with a lot of the work that was involved. You have a beautiful home in a good setting so why not for the heck of it check out having an elevator for the future....I know this is silly but at the age of almost 80 that's what I would do...Enjoy that cup of coffee as you experience the greening of your life...clancey
Thanks Clancy! I look around and feel grateful. Ups and downs along these 54 years. Running Chicago in 3 weeks. Youngest child looking at a Div 1 recruiting summer, and 12 cords on deck. Never called but would have gone, so just lucky! Always enjoyed a nice fire!!!