uninsulated SS flex liner - unsafe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
bostock said:
wow, what a ride LOL.... with regards to heat transfer from uninsulated ss liner: are normal flue temps likely to cause this problem, or are we particularly talking about chim-fire temps?
That depends on the state of your chimney. Probably not, but then you have to plan for just in case, and a chimney fire is going to produce temperatures of at leasst 3 times normal flue temperatures if not more.

tfdchief said:
Shari said:
tfdchief said:
That's it....I'm done posting :ahhh:

Well, you asked a question. You got some answers (both pro and con).

You don't have to 'choose' which answer is 'right' just choose the 'right one' for you and yours.

If you continue to have any concerns check with your insurance company to see what they require. Insulating your liner may fall above and beyond what your ins. company requires.

As for me and mine I know I have done the best install possible. I also know our install passes and even supersedes both our local codes and the requirements of our insurance company.

To each his own (meant in a nice way).

Shari
Shari, I think you have me confused with the poster, bostock. I was just saying if the insurance companies are monitoring what I say on hearth.com, I'm done posting lol. Steve

Sorry!

I have a really, really good head cold going on - I must have been reaching for a tissue, reading posts and must have confused the posts (nothing to do with age, at all, right! :) ). Apologizes! :)

Ah choo! Sniff.... sniff.

Go forth! :)

Shari

Shari said:
tfdchief said:
Shari said:
tfdchief said:
That's it....I'm done posting :ahhh:

Well, you asked a question. You got some answers (both pro and con).

You don't have to 'choose' which answer is 'right' just choose the 'right one' for you and yours.

If you continue to have any concerns check with your insurance company to see what they require. Insulating your liner may fall above and beyond what your ins. company requires.

As for me and mine I know I have done the best install possible. I also know our install passes and even supersedes both our local codes and the requirements of our insurance company.

To each his own (meant in a nice way).

Shari
Sorry!

I have a really, really good head cold going on - I must have been reaching for a tissue, reading posts and must have confused the posts (nothing to do with age, at all, right! :) ). Apologizes! :)

Ah choo! Sniff.... sniff.

Go forth! :)

Shari
Shari, I think you have me confused with the poster, bostock. I was just saying if the insurance companies are monitoring what I say on hearth.com, I'm done posting lol. Steve
Shari, I completely understand. Lots of good advice here. Just so hard to tell about and individual system when you can't look at it and lay your hands on it. But I agree that you have to do everything you can with your individual situation to insure it is safe.....that will likely mean different things for different situations.

Pretty much what CarbonNeutral said is dead on.

Quoted from a recent post of mine. Pretty much all applies here.

In fact, has your flue passed a Level II inspection by a certified sweep? This would involve checking all accessible areas to verify proper construction and clearances to the masonry structure. Also checking the integrity of the flue tiles top to bottom. With the sloppy work of mortar squeezing out all over I doubt it will pass.

By simply dropping a 6” SS liner down you are not really increasing the safety of the system, you can assume the SS will be resting against the clay tiles in many spots. Metal transfers heat very well. You can see where I am going. For the liner to have 0” clearance to the clay and the masonry to have 0” clearance to combustibles the SS liner needs to be properly insulated as per the mfg specs (usually a 1/2” wrap of special insulation meets the requirements). To accomplish this on a 7” x 11” ID clay flue we ovalize to 4” on the skinny side with a tool we have, then wrap in insulation.

Also this article I have saved a link to

Relining Best Practices: (broken link removed to http://www.woodheat.org/chimneys/bplinerretailers.pdf)

Status
Not open for further replies.