Turner-n-burner is about to join the wood burning comunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's insulation value would help draft, reduce creosote. I too am eager to hear the inspector's pov.

Turner-n-Burner said:
Jeez - this thread hurts to read!

Still working on lining up a mason on short notice. The loose courses of brick are a straightforward repair. I'll guess I'll just have to go with his recommendation on the appropriate fix for the flues. If it takes a liner on the other side as well, that's what I'll do.

-Turner
Well here's the thing, if that side doesn't get lined and you slap a concrete cap around the flues..... and the flues are leaking, that gas will try to go through the morter and the leaks between the bricks and into your house. Right now any exhaust fumes that are most likely leaking out of the flue are going up the chase of the chimney and out the big hole up there.
It needs to be lined at a minimum
The inspector should have been able to tell that this side wasn't lined by checking from the basement where the pipe hits the adapter flange in the brick. Thats what the inspector that I hired 3 times to check my prospective homes did. All 3 houses had natural gas appliances going into unlined chimneys. I finally settled on the third.
If your inspector is still around I'd be making a couple calls to chamber of commerce and BBB.

(no i don't mean Brother Bart's bureau)
Had to post that for the wise guy's out there :lol:

Good luck

I do believe alot of time that most home inspections and appraisals are rigged for a sale. My brother in law well overspent on his home, due to an appraisal that the person knew the homeowner. The world is full of bad people, I always keep my eyes open. I have yet to get an inspection on any of my homes, But I crawl through every nook and cranny to look for a potential problem. Its probably not the best decision, but I have yet to go wrong. Its a sad thing I guess. I would definitely contact the BBB.

laynes69 said:
I do believe alot of time that most home inspections and appraisals are rigged for a sale. My brother in law well overspent on his home, due to an appraisal that the person knew the homeowner. The world is full of bad people, I always keep my eyes open. I have yet to get an inspection on any of my homes, But I crawl through every nook and cranny to look for a potential problem. Its probably not the best decision, but I have yet to go wrong. Its a sad thing I guess. I would definitely contact the BBB.

Like every other thing in the world these guys are bound to have to have a license. And some buttocracy that governs them. They need to know this stuff.

Hmmm.. BBB, the Brother Bart Buttocracy. Kinda has a ring to it.

there is an alternative bbb Brother Bret but we all are mavericks

elkimmeg said:

It actually would have been Brother Brett but when I signed up for the my first online poker room the handle was already taken. In various ones I am now Brother Bart, Brother Bret, Cousin Beau and Old Pappy. Got the whole cast covered.

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

It actually would have been Brother Brett but when I signed up for the my first online poker room the handle was already taken. In various ones I am now Brother Bart, Brother Bret, Cousin Beau and Old Pappy. Got the whole cast covered.

So as of today .............................. and per your nifty Avatar..............Your

"Burning Barrel Brother Bart"

In all fairness , from the ground the chimney appeared to be ok. Even looking up the flue from the fire place there was no hint of a problem.
I have built over 100 homes and roofed twice as many, I have never seen a chimney without a crown. It never occured to me that anyone built one without one
till last Saturday. The crown is so crucial to keeping weather out and tying in support. It holds and lines up flues and acts as a bridge type support to the outer brick walls.

Elk, is there any reason why he couldn't fill the cavity around the two flues with vermiculite?

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

What's that old line....never eat at a diner called Mom's, never play online poker with a guy named Old Pappy....

Eric Johnson said:
What's that old line....never eat at a diner called Mom's, never play online poker with a guy named Old Pappy....

Don't tug on superman's cape, Don't spit in the wind

Dylan said:
laynes69 said:
I would definitely contact the BBB.

WADR, I'll point out that what we DON'T have here, is any testimony from T&B that he actually contracted a home inspector prior to purchase of the home.....and for that matter, how long ago the purcahse was. ALL that I've been able to extract from this thread is GVA'a comment that T&B "said the home inspector refused to go up on the roof."

With malice toward none, I'm gonna withold my judgement regarding the BBB.

Okay Dylan, what would you consider testimony? I Turner hearby swear that I did contract a home inspector prior to purchaseing.......

Closed on the house in July '05.

Not convinced that involving authorites or lawyers is going to do any good... Even if he had found it, I was unlikely to have been able to negotiate any more off the price of the home - I did pretty well considering that I bought at the peak of the market. And I wouldn't have walked away from this home over this particular problem either.

Got an estimate from a mason that I went to grade school with. He's going to reset the top 5-8 courses, pressure wash the whole chimney, repoint as needed, and apply a masonry sealer. Also add a masonry cap and properly attach the woodstove cap. $700 and he's going to squeeze me in next week.

I have talked to several other masons - none were concerned about the lack of a liner on the nat-gas furnace side. I'll install some CO detectors and keep an eye on things... I can not imagine gases migrating through the chimney wall in significant volume when the path of least resistance is up the flue tiles....

Furnace really shouldn't be running all that much once the stove is lit anyway.

That sounds like a fair price It could have been more from other bids Good luck and let us know how things work out

wow dude, just watched the video clip of that chimney, ive never seen the like! you were right about the mason's bill gonna be steep if he can even find one that wont look at it and run away screaming! interesting thread by the way. im new in here and just started poking around this week hope ya dont mind my popping in

mike esw

The Mason came yesterday. He reset the top couple of courses, power washed the entire chimney, and repointed where needed. And he added a masonry cap! He also said that other than the damage at the top, the chimney was in better shape than 95% of what he saw.

I need to get back on the roof to attach the cap a little better, but other than that I'm ready to finish up the install.

Been doing some replacement windows in the interim - keeping busy! ;)

-Dan

Just wondering if when we moved the stove back in if the liner popped up beyond the flue and had to be trimmed again?

When are ya gonna burn it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.