Trying to replace old metal lined fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How big is your house? Even with the sloping fire back, which could be notched or modified, I think an appropriately sized insert would fit. A wood stove is far more efficient than a fireplace and doesn't have to be massive to heat a house.

Thanks again for all the help, I will have to think things over.
How big is your house? Even with the sloping fire back, which could be notched or modified, I think an appropriately sized insert would fit. A wood stove is far more efficient than a fireplace and doesn't have to be massive to heat a house.

4,000 square feet with vaulted ceilings in half of it. I don't expect to heat whole house with just the insert.

Thanks again for all the help, I will have to think things over.

4,000 square feet with vaulted ceilings in half of it. I don't expect to heat whole house with just the insert.
Oh wow, even for a larger stove that would be a challenge. Do you have a basement? I would be considering a small "ambiance" insert/stove for that room and finding a way to integrate a wood boiler with storage for the whole house heating.

Oh wow, even for a larger stove that would be a challenge. Do you have a basement? I would be considering a small "ambiance" insert/stove for that room and finding a way to integrate a wood boiler with storage for the whole house heating.
I have a geothermal system that works well except when it gets really cold. I would use both when it's really cold.

Dimensions please.

An Osburn 2400 would fit without a lot of surgery at maximum extended depth. A Pacific Energy Summit or Lopi Large Hybrid would require some cutting.

I kind of doubt in this situation that the insert will be doing a lot of low and slow burning. That is the Princess's strength.

Reactions: Ksuwildcat2010
Thoughts on a Kuma Cascade Le. Not a lot about them but they seem well liked overall.

I found an installer to do it, he carries Kuma and Lopi. He is pushing Lopi but I haven't read the best things about the Lopi Large Flush so I'm leaning to the Kuma Cascade.

Last edited:
Kuma is a small company with good customer support. The Cascade LE is a new model for 2020, based on the Ashwood LE firebox. This hybrid should be a nice clean burner.

One more question, if I decide to reline the chimney myself what does everyone recommend. I've read a lot about it but I'm still a little confused. I need to go from the bottom up and I would like to use preinsulated rigid pipe but I'm not sure what to use. If I use duratech how do I anchor it, at the top of my chimney I assume? Would duratech be too heavy to run from the bottom, my chimney is about 20'.

Duratech is chimney pipe. You would use DuraLiner for this project. Or a preinsulated flex liner. The weight is supported at the top cap and the insert.

Last edited:
You also won't install rigid from the bottom up it simply isn't possible

I'm not sure why? If I use 2' sections I would have room to lift the section up and attach a new one under it, couldn't that work?
Is it a straight shot up? Fireplaces rarely are. Why wouldn't you just use flex?

Is it a straight shot up? Fireplaces rarely are. Why wouldn't you just use flex?

Mostly didn't want to screw with trying to wrap insulation around it and get it drug up my chimney. I assumed rigid might actually be easier to do. Is any of the flex liner that is pre-insulated any good?

Mostly didn't want to screw with trying to wrap insulation around it and get it drug up my chimney. I assumed rigid might actually be easier to do. Is any of the flex liner that is pre-insulated any good?
Yeah they are the same liners as uninsulated ones. I absolutely hate installing rigid liners. To the point I charge double my normal labor rate if someone insisted upon one.

Do you have any recommendations for brand of liner? Are flex liners as good?
Brand doesn't matter nearly as much as type of liner. There are 4 types regular light wall which I'd heavily correlated and .005" or .006". Lightweight smooth wall which is junk. Mid weight which is much smoother and .010". And heavyweight constructed the same as midweight but .014" or .015"

I found Olympia Forever Flex Hybrid which is preinsulated with .010". I can't find any preinsulated flex with anything heavier. Is that good enough or should i go heavier and insulate it myself?

I found Olympia Forever Flex Hybrid which is preinsulated with .010". I can't find any preinsulated flex with anything heavier. Is that good enough or should i go heavier and insulate it myself?
It is very good liner. On a modern stove it will be just fine. I prefer heavier on old stoves

I've got 10 inches between chimney cap and flue liner. I doubt that's enough to put a liner in from the top, but will it even be possible from bottom up?
Trying to replace old metal lined fireplace