Triple vs double class a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
I currently have Duraplus HT triple wall. I know there are some longevity issues with the galvanized triple wall but it seems like its holding up well in my dry climate so I dont have any issue there. This spring I want to add another section and have a few questions:
Is there a performance difference between the two? Just wondering if it warms and drafts better for less creosote.
Would the ceiling box be compatible if I go to the same brand double wall?
Just trying to figure out whether to go to double or just get another section of triple.

I can guarantee that the support box will not work with the double wall. I would just add another section of triple.

I currently have Duraplus HT triple wall. I know there are some longevity issues with the galvanized triple wall but it seems like its holding up well in my dry climate so I dont have any issue there. This spring I want to add another section and have a few questions:
Is there a performance difference between the two? Just wondering if it warms and drafts better for less creosote.
Would the ceiling box be compatible if I go to the same brand double wall?
Just trying to figure out whether to go to double or just get another section of triple.
Doublewall chimney pipe is far better than triple wall. It has twice the insulation so it keeps internal temps up better. But no you can't reuse the support box you would have to change out the entire system. The duraplus pipe is perfectly safe as long as it is installed properly so if it is working well for you I wouldn't change the whole thing out.

Doublewall chimney pipe is far better than triple wall. It has twice the insulation so it keeps internal temps up better. But no you can't reuse the support box you would have to change out the entire system. The duraplus pipe is perfectly safe as long as it is installed properly so if it is working well for you I wouldn't change the whole thing out.
Thanks. I'll just add another section this spring. One other quick question. My current chimney is close enough to the ridge cap that when I add another section it may prove difficult to install the brace on the same side of the roof as the chimney. When that happens do you just go over the ridge and attach to th ed other side of the roof?

Thanks. I'll just add another section this spring. One other quick question. My current chimney is close enough to the ridge cap that when I add another section it may prove difficult to install the brace on the same side of the roof as the chimney. When that happens do you just go over the ridge and attach to th ed other side of the roof?
Sure whatever works