Stove pipe question: Single or Double?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nathan125

Nov 18, 2013
idaho
I currently have a section of single that runs about 6 feet up to the ceiling then into the box with triple wall, the pipe is in good shape and no issues. However, I have acquired a new piece of telescoping double wall pipe.... Am I better off going with double wall from the stove to the ceiling or keep it how it is? Is there much benefit with have about 6 feet of double wall and reducing creosote?

It depends on the stove and current setup. A catalytic stove with lower flue gas temp will see more benefit. Likewise, if the exposed chimney is tall, then keeping the flue gases hotter can reduce creosote buildup. If the setup is with an older stove connected to a straight-up flue with <5 ft chimney exposed, then there may not be much advantage.

What stove is this for? Is creosote buildup currently an issue? Is the brand of the double-wall the same as the chimney pipe or different?