Tree id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MRD1985

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2023
I know it’s hickory but difficult to tell if butternut, pignut or shag bark ?

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

Last edited:
The shagbark I know (especially of the age of your trunks) would flake out more than this. So I think it's not shagbark.

Reactions: AstroBoy and NickW
I wasn’t sure about the shagbark, I don’t have much experience with them. I thought maybe it could have looked like it in spots but not sure

I am 90% sure it’s pignut but wanted someone’s opinion with more experience

Last edited:
Definitely hickory. Bark looks similar to these three: mockernut (Carya tomentosa) , pignut (Carya glabra) or red (Carya ovalis).
Mockernut has thick husk covering the nut (and pubescent twigs), while mockernut and red are thin husked.
Looks like a couple sawlogs worth if you can mill it.

Definitely hickory. Bark looks similar to these three: mockernut (Carya tomentosa) , pignut (Carya glabra) or red (Carya ovalis).
Mockernut has thick husk covering the nut (and pubescent twigs), while mockernut and red are thin husked.
Looks like a couple sawlogs worth if you can mill it.
Pretty sure it is pig nut. It’s nice stuff for sure . A bit tough to split but very nice wood after it’s seasoned