Travis Industries Freedom question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BHELMS

Dec 14, 2018
Troy, NC
This stove was a FB Marketplace find locally for $50. I knew the guy and was able to get to it before anyone else. The top of the stove looks like it maybe had a collar of some kind for a connection to a liner. The metal is rough like it was cut off. I believe this to be a common insert so I thought someone may shed some light on my curiosity. It looks to be in good shape with no cracks in the secondary air system that I can see at this point. I have painted it and replaced gaskets. Hope to get it installed soon and begin the painful wait for cold weather in central NC. Been burning wood for a few years and have gained quite an education from this site.

Attachments

• Travis Industries Freedom question
    20200825_194739.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 111
    20200825_194744.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 130
    20200825_194836.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 128
    20200825_194817.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 127
This is a Lopi Freedom insert according to the label. It's a good insert. This will need a full stainless liner which will have a liner adapter that connects to the insert.

Nothing is cut off or missing. Your stainless elbow or liner adaptor will fit into the flue collar, and will be attached to the stove top using angle brackets.

I edited the title. I guess in searching I had the Liberty on my mind. My current stove is a Pleasant Hearth non-insert in a masonry fireplace. Have a stainless liner in place that I installed last year.

Reactions: begreen
Looks like I failed to search this out properly. The manual shows that a flue adapter is available. The part number is 98900120 and it is available from multiple sources. Thanks for the replies.

I don’t know what flue adaptor you are referring to. You would use an appliance adaptor or an elbow from whoever made the liner.

I installed a used Freedom last fall i used a regular appliance adapter drilled a 5/16 hole in it to line up with the rod secured it with 3 stainless angle brackets and screws. Once I got the insert in place I slide the rod through and reassembled the damper.

Reactions: BHELMS
That's a great insert at a really great price. I hope you will have it installed in a very large room, my biggest "complaint" about mine is that I have to run it very carefully to avoid overheating my home, and that's in a climate colder than yours.
If you haven't realized already, you need very well seasoned wood to get the best out of these stoves. It will seem expensive compared to your original "investment" but $25 each on a stovetop thermometer and a moisture meter will be money well spent.

TE

Reactions: BHELMS