Today it snowed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I'm not kidding. Came out of the tunnels @ 11K heading east, and the hills were almost white. Big corn snow, thought it was hail but no- it was snow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/jntwyatt#p/u/12/r0SllsttPeg[/youtube]

Soup that's funny!!...Good one..lol

Not sure about the snow but some cooler weather would be nice.

Soupy, great video! I'm not quite ready for snow yet but I do have a small bit of anticipation towards a great heating season this year.

Soupy, +10 on the great video!! Wyatt is pretty darn good. So, does anyone remember the summer of '95 ? And if so, how was the winter of '95/'96 for you? Mine was dry until the 2nd. week of Jan., then 3 weeks straight of snow. Got worse after that, but never really cold. Anyone else remember that far back? Locals are making comparisons to the two.

Lit the stove for ya tonight Beetle to take the chill out of the basement. Will be warm as Michigan Savage/Dennis in the house in an hour or so if it makes you feel better. :cheese:

north of 60 said:
Lit the stove for ya tonight Beetle to take the chill out of the basement. Will be warm as Michigan Savage/Dennis in the house in an hour or so if it makes you feel better. :cheese:
Been kind'a a weird summer, huh. Low to mid 40's in the morning, then jumps to almost 80 °F by the afternoon, then RAIN + thunder/lightning. Are you catching this up North?

north of 60 said:

Well, we turned off the air conditioner last evening and don't expect to turn it back on today. That is an improvement for us. I don't think we'll be using the stove for a while though. I will predict that we get some cold nights in August and it should happen by mid-August. Time will tell...

Today officially made this the hottest month in history here. Not just this month. Any month in history. And the seven to ten day forecast looks like we are going to make a start on a new one.

Everything outside looks totally neglected. For the first time, this year I said if I am paying to cool this house I am staying in it. Got the kitchen floor redone and the sink and faucet replaced though. Looking at the forecast I think the laundry room floor is next on the hit list.

Backwoods Savage said:
Not sure about the snow but some cooler weather would be nice.

Head northeast young man, lows around 58-60 at night.

zap

BrotherBart said:
Today officially made this the hottest month in history here. Not just this month. Any month in history...

Oh my. I'll refrain from complaining about my 90°F day with 24% RH. I remember Northern VA quite well, of course, and don't miss any aspect of it...especially listening to both my air conditioners running all day and late into the night all summer long. My house here in Oregon doesn't have air conditioning...although there are a few days most years when I'd use it if I had it, it's not hard to do without. It always cools down overnight. I really hope the heat abates for you folks soon, BB, that's gotta be miserable. Rick

Thanks Rick. First time since we came here in 1985 that the ACs have run around the clock for a month. We not only set daytime records but temp at sunup records. I usually cut wood in the summer. Not this year, well or last year when we were close to this same temp stuff. This old guy is getting a whole new appreciation for air conditioners.

I think I have mentioned how much I hate grey air.

Wow, I knew it was hot out there, but that really nails it. I officially will stop complaining about our cool weather now. At least it's now sunny and dry.

Well, I tell North of 60 he should move because of the cold. Guess I should too but Texas is getting beat up worse than we are and I ain't even thinking of moving farther North. But after the two worst winters ever here followed with the two worst summers ya kinda start thinking somewhere has to be better. Sounds like Bend, Oregon is a good idea.

You could do a lot worse.

fossil said:
Oh my. I'll refrain from complaining about my 90°F day with 24% RH
BrotherBart said:
ell, I tell North of 60 he should move because of the cold. Guess I should too but Texas is getting beat up worse than we are
Yeah, it's hot in TX but not as humid, right now anyway. My nephew just got back from Phoenix. It was well into the 100s there, but after sweltering in the steam bath here, he said he found it quite comfortable.
I'm looking forward to the next several days here; Low to mid 90s, but humidity only 48-53% in the heat of the day. I'll be able to saw, haul and split, and my stacked wood will be drying. Hell, my pants may not even be dripping wet...

Just took a look. At 11 at night in Texas where my sister lives it is 90 degrees with a a dew point, means more than relative humidity when it is hot, of 67 degrees. That place is a steam bath too.

That explains all the out-of-state plates I've been see'in. With those temps. and conditions, don't blame 'em for venturing up here. Just wish they knew how to drive up here. >:(

BrotherBart said:
Just took a look. At 11 at night in Texas where my sister lives it is 90 degrees with a a dew point, means more than relative humidity when it is hot, of 67 degrees. That place is a steam bath too.
That would yield an RH of 47%. Doesn't sound too bad. Here, right now, it is 77*, dewpoint 74*, RH 90%. Stuff I've read says dewpoint is related to RH; The closer the dewpoint is to the temp, the higher the relative humidity. Our daytime temps are going to be low to mid 90s this week, but with a 70* or less dewpoint it will be lower relative humidity and pleasant, compared to the mid-70s dewpoints we've been having. Hot is hot, but it's better than sweltering. :)

You can go here and punch in a city or a zip code for current conditions there. Then scroll down to "hourly weather graph" to see predicted temp, dewpoint and relative humidity (and other stuff) for the next several days:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...LWX&textField1=38.471&textField2=-78.0011&e=0

Status
Not open for further replies.