Time to move on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cshama

Hearth Supporter
Mar 3, 2009
ny
I have a Quadrafire Isle Royale. It’s 13 years old and has served me well. But now it’s somewhat falling apart. I have a service guy coming but the earliest he can come is April.

I’m think now is probably the time to think about upgrading. I’m sure repairs will be between $500 and $1000 minimum ($300 is the service charge and there are several problems with it)

So now may be the time to upgrade. I’m looking for the most btus with overnight burn times. It’s a 5000sf house and I use the stove to supplement heat. Something nice looking is important.

Suggestions please. Here is the isle royale

Time to move on

Good idea. The only thing to consider now is supply chain problems. My local shop is out of the more popular stoves.

That is a great question.

To be honest I haven’t looked closely at my stove for basically 13 years. Zero maintenance.

I decided to change the gaskets and then I saw the baffle had fallen into the fire and all my bricks were busted.

The more I look at it I might be able to save it. I cant get a service guy around for 4 months so I have to do it myself.

I just managed to replace the baffle and I’m figuring out how to replace the bricks. I have to drill holes in a couple of bricks. But I think I may be able to fix it until the service guy comes.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
That is a great question.

To be honest I haven’t looked closely at my stove for basically 13 years. Zero maintenance.

I decided to change the gaskets and then I saw the baffle had fallen into the fire and all my bricks were busted.

The more I look at it I might be able to save it. I cant get a service guy around for 4 months so I have to do it myself.

I just managed to replace the baffle and I’m figuring out how to replace the bricks. I have to drill holes in a couple of bricks. But I think I may be able to fix it until the service guy comes.
Give it a try, that's a nice stove and it's a good company, and we can usually do more than we think we can or feel comfortable doing!

I just had to do a lot of things on my 1993 Dovre Aurora, did the best that I could and am dealing with it. Even if I found a service guy I doubt they have ever seen this stove, they went out of business here in the U.S late 90's but were incorporated into Quadrafire. They are still made in Europe, but communicating with them is like a whole different planet, plus the ones now are not like this one from 1993, so I do my best and adapt to it.

Go for it, we believe in you!!

Reactions: kennyp2339