Tick talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I contracted Lyme while through-hiking the Appalachian Trail in 1999. Found the tick in NY at Lake Tiorati. Massive antibiotics and all better. I also contracted Alpha-Gal Syndrome (commonly known as "red meat allergy") on my property in Indiana in July of 2020. Haven't had any mammal anything since...and it does suck. No treatment/cure...can go away but I've been bit twice since then, and my "numbers" aren't good. If you live east of the Rockies, you need to protect yourself when in the woods.
Quite literally my worst nightmare. I'm sorry you're going through that man.

We lost a dog in 2019, to liver damaged caused by an earlier bout of Lyme, even though the Lyme itself was cured a year or three prior. Bad stuff. Enjoy your final weeks with the pooch as much as you can, all you can do sometimes is make sure they're comfortable.

Reactions: bholler
This spring and summer are going to be a scary year when it comes to ticks. Unfortunately we are going to see a lot more shifts in populations like this. When the ticks get a few more weeks to reproduce because it doesn't get cold enough to kill them off each year, as it should, the numbers grow exponentially. This has also allowed for a very fast expansion of ranges. The 3 scariest tick diseases we are discussing here have moved into regions of the country they are not natural to.
Deer tend to take the brunt of the blame but most research shows that mice, squirrels, bird and other smaller animals transport the ticks, and the diseases in much higher numbers then deer. I believe this makes it an even greater challenge to track and treat.
Not trying to start a climate change debate but this is one of the symptoms that does not get referenced enough.

Reactions: sloeffle
We are now watching our bulldog waste away from Lyme disease that attacked his kidneys. He might have a week or 2 left at most.
So sorry, Dogs are the best. Watching them decline is so painful. We just got the ashes from our ENA yesterday. It's still devastating for us almost 2 weeks after we put her down.

Daughter contracted alpha-gal camping with friends. From our understanding it usually corrects itself after a few years. After that if you happen to be unlucky enough to contract it again it is most likely a lifelong condition. We use permethrin that we mix up and Ranger ready with Picaridin.

Daughter contracted alpha-gal camping with friends. From our understanding it usually corrects itself after a few years. After that if you happen to be unlucky enough to contract it again it is most likely a lifelong condition. We use permethrin that we mix up and Ranger ready with Picaridin.
That's no fun. I'm not stepping in any woods without permethrin treated clothes.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I had a lamb escape last summer getting her out of the truck. I chased her for miles through the woods. Got home and did a full tick check nothing. A few days late my ear started to hurt. Had one in the inside of my ear. Took forever to heal but didn't contract any tick related illness. Thats the longest I have ever had one on me.

Yup i got 1 on 2/4/20 in central NJ. Had Monmouth County id it as a female blacklegged tick. The lyme tick.
The report stated that here in my area 40%-50% of these ticks carry Lyme. I was lucky and got it early before it was engorged.

The hard cold for extended time and snow cover are generally responsible for the seasonal control of tick numbers. To simplify it, they are allowed extra time to reproduce more generations. This just leads to an exponential increase in numbers. But that is only half the issue...
Lyme, to be specific, had some general areas where it was "common" or "expected." Where I live in Ohio it is not one of those areas. A biology teacher at an adjacent school district has been doing an ongoing lyme study since 2012 on a federal grant. All of his data comes form Tuscarawas County. In that 11 year span, the number of blackleg ticks he finds that are carrying lyme has increased from 3-5% when he started to 40-50% depending on the year.
My mother had lyme, treated it quickly. My co-worker had lyme, treated it quickly. 2 guys I hunt with got lyme, treated it quickly. 3 year old nephew had lyme for maybe a year before showing symptoms. Face developed palsy and and spent 3 months on HEAVY antibiotics. It's become a serious situation considering its not supposed to be here. From what I have read, the once available vaccine is back in development. I have an 11 year old son who is starting to really enjoy going in the woods. I'm good about using the pyrethrin but he's 11 and we know how that can be.

This spring and summer are going to be a scary year when it comes to ticks.
As warm as this winter has been, I believe that last year had even fewer contiguous cold days, at least around here. If the population growth is compound, this year on last, then you're right... this year could be remarkably bad, due to two consecutive warm winters.

Our mastiff contracted anaplasmosis in December that was actually symptomatic. Usually they get it but it's not clinical. He had a massive fever, rivers of drool (more than the usual rivers), wouldn't eat, lethargy. He also had a lymph node the size of a lemon. It go so bad I brought him to the ER Christmas Day fearing lymphoma. Turned out to be tickborne. $1400 later and then some $10 abx for a month he's thankfully fine but it was an ordeal. We got lucky. Could have been much worse.

Sorry to hear about your pup bholler.

Our mastiff contracted anaplasmosis in December that was actually symptomatic. Usually they get it but it's not clinical. He had a massive fever, rivers of drool (more than the usual rivers), wouldn't eat, lethargy. He also had a lymph node the size of a lemon. It go so bad I brought him to the ER Christmas Day fearing lymphoma. Turned out to be tickborne. $1400 later and then some $10 abx for a month he's thankfully fine but it was an ordeal. We got lucky. Could have been much worse.

Sorry to hear about your pup bholler.
We just got blood work back and Sunday is his day unfortunately. He will get spoiled as much as possible until then

• Sad
Reactions: Ashful and Dajolu
We just got blood work back and Sunday is his day unfortunately. He will get spoiled as much as possible until then
Hopefully you guys enjoy that last bit of time. I've been there, it sucks. Sorry man.

That sucks. I slept downstairs with our girl Ena for 2 to 3 weeks before we had to put her down. It's been 2 weeks since that day and it's still brutal. I feel for you brother.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ozarkoak
I dont specifically cut and process in winter because of ticks. Its a nice bonus that they are less active. I mostly process January through march and I have scrounged my log lenth by then also. I dont normally spry myself.. unless im fishing.. Ticks suck

The past few months I have been splitting rounds in an area that almost guarantees ticks during the spring/summer. I have been checking myself now just in case. .

Next week we have a day in the high 50's, I'll be spraying some clothing & the boots I wear with permethrin. We also use lint rollers on our clothes when we come in from a walk or working in the woods. Last year with the lint roller we use on the dog, we had a total of six that I counted that came off the dog.

I use permethrin for my hunting clothes. For just around the yard, I just check when I come in. Had Lyme disease once and fortunately I got the classic Bullseye and noticed it before symptoms hit. More worried about the Lone Star Tick and the Meat Allergy now.

I have several people that live near me that have had the Alpha-gal syndrome. My nearest neighbor across the street (probably about 200 yards or so from me) had it. The woman and her daughter who lives in the next house over have had it. A guy back the road has had it. He was a big guy and lost a lot of weight after he got it.

Since I retired almost seven years ago I always pull several ticks off of me each year, mostly in the springtime. I eat quite a bit of red meat and have been having stomach problems for over a year now so I might possibly have it. I need to make an appointment and get myself tested.

My dog has had a few ticks this winter and it's the first winter that I have known him or any of my other dogs in the past to get ticks during this time of the year.