Throat Damper Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smdiye

Jan 13, 2020
MI
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a replacement throat damper plate for a fireplace. It previously had a wood burning stove insert which was removed though when they installed it I assume they discarded the original plate. Can any one identify who the manufacture might be and if it is even possible to still get a plate for it? I searched for markings though could not find any. Thanks for the help.

I posted a few photos (excuse the poor quality)... it appears there are round hinge cut outs on either side.

Throat Damper Plate
Throat Damper Plate

Probably impossible to find the manufacturer.
I suggest contacting a machine shop with capable
welders & having a new damper fabricated.
Probably gonna be costly, but other than a "Lock-Top"
chimney damper, it might be the only solution...
Best of luck.

Have you had the rest of the system inspected by a pro to see if it is useable as an open fireplace?

Reactions: DAKSY
Probably impossible to find the manufacturer.
I suggest contacting a machine shop with capable
welders & having a new damper fabricated.
Probably gonna be costly, but other than a "Lock-Top"
chimney damper, it might be the only solution...
Best of luck.

Ah I see that is unfortunate. I really wanted to avoid the "lock-top" if possible. Never thought finding a piece of metal would be so difficult lol.

Have you had the rest of the system inspected by a pro to see if it is useable as an open fireplace?

No I have not yet... I was going to get the whole thing cleaned out and see if they could help out.

Ah I see that is unfortunate. I really wanted to avoid the "lock-top" if possible. Never thought finding a piece of metal would be so difficult lol.

No I have not yet... I was going to get the whole thing cleaned out and see if they could help out.
Yeah get it cleaned and inspected first. And go from there

Ah I see that is unfortunate. I really wanted to avoid the "lock-top" if possible
Why? A lock-top is a very good solution to your problem. Easy to install and is more efficient.

Why? A lock-top is a very good solution to your problem. Easy to install and is more efficient.
Top sealers do have some down sides but over all I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Top sealers do have some down sides but over all I wouldn't hesitate to use one.
I really like the ones that have a spring loaded cable. They make a really good seal.

I really like the ones that have a spring loaded cable. They make a really good seal.
They do. We have had problems with them icing or getting stuck with creosote. But overall they are a good product.

Reactions: webby3650