Removal of Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenRiverHenry

Sep 6, 2023
NW Illinois
Hi Folks. I'm a newbie so please excuse any breach of protocol. I have a raised Temco (out of business) Louvered Heat Circulating Fireplace (model #TLC42-41, I think, See attached photo.) that I want to remove. I'm stuck on how to detach the chimney pipe in order to pull the firebox from the chase. It has an 8" pipe inside of a 12" pipe. The 12" pipe just rests on the top of the unit and is secured with a couple of screws. The 8" pipe penetrates the outer box of the unit and attaches to a collar on top of the inner box. It is the detachment of the 8" pipe that has me stumbling. It isn't a screw in and it isn't a crimped friction/nesting connection. The installation manual for the unit says, "Push the pipe until it bottoms (into the flue collar, I assume) and the snap locks engage." How do I disengage these snap locks? They cannot be felt if you stuff your arm up the pipe through the damper. I found what purports to be an old ad for this type of chimney pipe on the internet (see picture), but it tells me nothing. Am I stuck with cutting the 8" pipe off of the top of the unit? Thanks.

20230414_123432.jpg Chimney pipe   Temco Fireplace.jpg

The snaplocks are intended for a "permanent" connection. Cutting the pipe may be the fastest solution.