Thoughts on replacing insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mack122

Mar 4, 2020
Warren Pennsylvania
I am new to the hearth and hope I am posting this correctly. I have an existing wood burning fireplace insert that has some broken glass and is very dated. The doors leak and the damper is way up inside. However it does burn well and put out Heat. I will post more pictures when I get home and the sizes and measurements. I am looking to either remove it or replace it. Looking for options. Heating around 1500 square foot.

Thoughts on replacing insert

I think you got your money's worth out of that heater. It is time for a modern unit. Pretty sure your dog agrees.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Pretty sure your dog agrees.
;lol Looks like he is saying, "Seriously?"
Remove the old one, get all the fireplace measurements, and start shopping. Just looking, appears that a lot of inserts will fit..

A new insert will burn cleaner with less smoke out the stack, will deposit less creosote in the chimney, and it'll give you more heat with less wood.

Reactions: Mech e
I am new to the hearth and hope I am posting this correctly. I have an existing wood burning fireplace insert that has some broken glass and is very dated. The doors leak and the damper is way up inside. However it does burn well and put out Heat. I will post more pictures when I get home and the sizes and measurements. I am looking to either remove it or replace it. Looking for options. Heating around 1500 square foot.
Ok you don't have an insert you have a prefab fireplace. Chances are you can't put an insert in that fireplace but to be sure locate the Id plate on the lip behind the doors and we can check the manual. Most likely you will be looking at a new fireplace and prefab chimney

So time to replace it. I figured that. The mortor or whatever they used was cracking and the log rack that the convection fan blows through is worped. Would I just run a chiminey liner down?

Also measurements are 38 inches wide 31 inches tall and about 27 or so deep. I guess I'll rip Into it tonight. Stay tuned. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Pictures to come.

Also measurements are 38 inches wide 31 inches tall and about 27 or so deep. I guess I'll rip Into it tonight. Stay tuned. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Pictures to come.
Do not just rip into it. Find out exactly what you have then find a new fireplace that will be close to the same size. Plan things out a bit before tearing anything out. And no you probably won't just drop a liner. It will probably need a new prefab chimney. Can you post pics of the outside

Now how do I pick the best fit? This is in my basement semi finished. Thanks so much for the help.
How much space will you be trying to heat? How often will you be burning?

Well right now I have a pellet stove upstairs. Don't even use many pellets. But would love to shut it off. I have a full baseboard heating system that runs on well gas or propane. Currently in law suite bc neighbor cut my gas lines. I have rights. But propane is so expensive. So plan on putting in outside wood boiler. But that's another summer project. Within the next week or two I'd like to have this insert in. I'd like to be able to heat as much as I can with it. Probably burn 4 days a week.may run full time. Till i get wood boiler.

Without dimensions ain't gonna be nobody tell ya nothing. Except grab a tape measure.

What is your budget

Not sure what's out there used or new. 1000 or 2000 for parts. I have to buy the liner and Insert. Was thinking maybe put a free standing stove there?
You might make 2000 with the stove liner and insulation but you will need to look at budget stoves. Drolet and newengland stove works make good value stoves

That VG insert probably didn't cost $1K new. Not a great value if the liner is not in great shape. For a good value look at the Drolet Escape 1880 insert or an Englander 13-NCi. Also check out Century inserts. They are sold at several online stores.

Last edited: