Thinking of Jotul 500 Oslo, Napoleon Banff 1400, quadra fire or lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Oslo will get the job done if that's your favorite. You may get larger temperature swings than with a jacketed stove, especially in milder weather, but the Oslo has a good track record and performs well. Take a look at the other stoves mentioned above. There are other benefits besides more even heat. One is that the hearth has a smaller footprint if the stove is not a side loader, another is closer clearances and yet another for some stoves is the ability to load N/S instead of E/W (sideways).

The cast iron jacket surrounds the inner steel stove. As the heat radiates out from the stove it hits and warms up the cast iron which then slowly radiates heat into the room. As the fire dies down the cast iron jacket continues to gently radiate stored heat. It's like a flywheel that once it gets spinning, continues to spin long after power is no longer applied.

Thanks. I will be trying to look at some this week. I wonder what jackets would be best to try to find near me. I can not handle a top loading stove. I do like the Oslo, but want to look and decide by the 16 th.

Birdbrain - if you've not committed 100% to the F500, I'd suggest you look at the Jotul F55, a Quadrafire Explorer (different sizes, 2 roughly equal to a F500, there is a 3 as well), and a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 or T5. All have a welded plate steel firebox but are surrounded (jacketed) by cast iron. One advantage that the F55 might offer is that the firebox lends itself more for north-south loading (pieces of wood have their length in/out when facing stove door as opposed to east-west which is side-to-side). I don't think you could go wrong with any of these stoves. The F55 is probably the least expensive of the bunch. It is the least ornate looking, but a very nice looking stove nonetheless. I personally run a Quad Explorer 2 and previously ran a Pacific Energy insert; the PE ran all winter in NEOhio for a decade and was great. The F55 was really my first choice, but my wife wanted an enameled finish which wasn't offered on the F55. We decided on the Quad largely b/c the footprint of the hearth was smaller; no side loading.

The F50 is their top and front loader. The F45 and F55 are front load only. Top loading works well once the stove is hot, but it is not essential. Some like the convenience. It's pretty easy and saves a little back bending. We've had both top and front loaders and both have worked fine. The F50 can be run as a front-load only if desired.

I agree, I have thought I can sleep downstairs if it is too cold up, so I could sleep up if it is warmer up there! Sustained deep cold here in Ohio is not like Northern Michigan where we are from.

Too cold to sleep??

A nice 3" thick down comforter is good down to about 15 degrees F. I lived in an old uninsulated farmhouse in another life. Would stoke the woodstove before going to bed at 11pm and wake up to have a drink of water at 6am only to find it frozen solid. Slept like a baby through the night but it was a challenge of mind over matter to actually get out of bed.

Reactions: Ashful
Well, I see a lot of folk start a thread asking what stove to buy. It sure is a difficult decision. I have spent a few hours + reading, learning, etc. It does become mind boggling. I liked the encouragement to consider jacket stoves. We spent years opening doors and windows. Did not need sweaters! So the even heat sounds good. Also the comments here and there, most stoves will do the job reminds me not to get discouraged trying to decide.

So I bought one, then read reviews as it was not on my list! Ach! So many opinions. I love Jotul. But the Oslo has end door on wrong end, I would always be carrying wood around the stove and not jacketed. The 55 has no ash pan was not in stock to see, and the 50 a little small. I looked at PE Alderlea T5, I liked it but went to Lehman's to see more. At Lehman's, they carry Blaze King, Jotul, Hearhstone and maybe more. The blaze King seemed great with 30-40 hour burn time but the cat scared me away. The salesman kept pointing me to the Hearthstone Manchester. It is jacketed, can have right end door, all good. Soapstone lined, I had read controversy over that. On the con, he admitted the ash pan could be and was for him a nuisance at times as ashes could spill out the back. I had wanted the cooktop some have like PE. The Manchester is jacketed on top so no cooktop. But he said it has really good convection movement. That is good. Exhausted, I picked the Manchester. I really liked the end door on right....will be next to firewood entry to house. I know the soapstone is slow to warm up, but then apparently does heat up house. Izzi(spelling ?) on one thread said she loves this stove. That was encouraging. Well done is done. My mind is able to rest from the decision. At least anyway if we are cold, we can look at our pretty stove!

We have ample distance from the wall,my son wants to put in single wall black pipe to ceiling. Would the double wall not radiate heat? Being used to smokies, he thinks I will loose lots of heat up the chimney.

Well, I see a lot of folk start a thread asking what stove to buy. It sure is a difficult decision. I have spent a few hours + reading, learning, etc. It does become mind boggling. I liked the encouragement to consider jacket stoves. We spent years opening doors and windows. Did not need sweaters! So the even heat sounds good. Also the comments here and there, most stoves will do the job reminds me not to get discouraged trying to decide.

So I bought one, then read reviews as it was not on my list! Ach! So many opinions. I love Jotul. But the Oslo has end door on wrong end, I would always be carrying wood around the stove and not jacketed. The 55 has no ash pan was not in stock to see, and the 50 a little small. I looked at PE Alderlea T5, I liked it but went to Lehman's to see more. At Lehman's, they carry Blaze King, Jotul, Hearhstone and maybe more. The blaze King seemed great with 30-40 hour burn time but the cat scared me away. The salesman kept pointing me to the Hearthstone Manchester. It is jacketed, can have right end door, all good. Soapstone lined, I had read controversy over that. On the con, he admitted the ash pan could be and was for him a nuisance at times as ashes could spill out the back. I had wanted the cooktop some have like PE. The Manchester is jacketed on top so no cooktop. But he said it has really good convection movement. That is good. Exhausted, I picked the Manchester. I really liked the end door on right....will be next to firewood entry to house. I know the soapstone is slow to warm up, but then apparently does heat up house. Izzi(spelling ?) on one thread said she loves this stove. That was encouraging. Well done is done. My mind is able to rest from the decision. At least anyway if we are cold, we can look at our pretty stove!
Relax! This is the fun part!

You really can't go wrong, these are all fantastic stoves. You shouldn't have let the cat scare you away from Blaze King, it's the highest performer on your list, in many regards. But, I have two personal friends with Manchesters, and they both love them! They don't run as low and slow as a Blaze King, but then again, nothing runs as low as BK!

I am sure you will be thrilled with the Manchester. Again, these are all fantastic stoves, you really couldn't make a bad choice, when your list is Jotul, PE, BK, and Hearthstone.

Ash full, you always have encouraging words. Thank you. The price of blaze King scared me also, the Manchester was 15% off, 2300, the be over 3000. But it sure sounds wonderful, maybe in a few years......

We have ample distance from the wall,my son wants to put in single wall black pipe to ceiling. Would the double wall not radiate heat? Being used to smokies, he thinks I will loose lots of heat up the chimney.
Congratulations on the Manchester. Double-wall pipe does radiate heat, just not as much as single-wall does. That's why single wall stove pipe needs at least 18" clearance. There is an old school thought to steal as much heat as possible from the pipe because not enough was coming from the stove. There is a problem with that idea, especially if one smoldered the fire as was possible in older stoves. The cooler the flue gases are the more chance there is of creosote deposits developing in the pipe and chimney. When the flue gases drop below about 250º they start to condense and stick to the interior of the flue system. If the single-wall stove pipe is long (more than 8') and the chimney is an exterior chimney then the buildup can happen pretty quickly, especially if the wood is not well seasoned.

Your modern stove is going to burn much cleaner and differently than the old smoke dragons. If you burn dry wood and the flue system drafts well then it may be fine with single-wall stove pipe as long as there aren't confounding factors. To know this we will need to know more about how the stove is being connected and to what kind of chimney.

Reactions: Ashful
Thinking of Jotul 500 Oslo, Napoleon Banff 1400, quadra fire or lopi He has the pipe 20" from wall. 8 foot ceiling. So 6" from stove to ceiling. Ceiling to roof triple wall 3to 5 foot not sure. Roof on low side of roof, so 4 - 7". He bought 3 section so, 9 foot triple wall. He said he hopes it is enough. If we need he will buy more. Pitch is 8/12 on house 4/12 on garage.

I do not expect trouble with this new type of stove, but. We have had many chimney fires. Well, I do not want chimney fires. It will be my daughter and I.

Thank you begreen. You spent a lot of time here pouring help! I for got to say one little problem. Being from the smokey days, did not know when started out about pipe choices. So early this summer Son Dave said go get chimney flashing we are roofing tomorrow. I ran to Lowe's and got a kit,all they had. Cost $300+. Here is the hitch, when I bought the stove this week, salesmen was going to sell me chimney items, fine, but then he found out I had ceiling support kit from Lowe's and said the stuff is not universal and I had to go back to Lowe's. I went with Dave yesterday to get triple wall and double wall black. Lowe's chimney stuff does not have double wall black, man there had not even heard of it. So, is it true I cannot fit another brand?

I will happily return what we purchased, if really best I will dump what we have used and purchase elsewhere. Want to be safe.

You picked a great stove. Come to think of it, we should have suggested this stove. Speaking for myself, I just associate Hearthstone solely with stoves that have soapstone on the exterior. It seemed that you liked cast iron and I completely forgot about the Manchester!

I would stick with double-wall stove pipe. Overall chimney system will be better insulted, run hotter and therefore cleaner.

You should be confident in your decision - the Manchester is a great looking stove and Hearthstone is a very good brand. You'll be happy. Please post pics after the install.

I'd stick with something like Duravent which you can get from one of the online retailers. Way more stuff available in terms of pieces parts than you could get locally from Lowes. They have the Duravent installation manual online as well with examples of typical venting setups along with requirements.

https://www.ventingpipe.com/all-chimney-pipe/c15659?f3309=duravent&f3371=double wall&f3370=6

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=11

Another online retailer I forgot to mention is woodlanddirect.com

I do not believe that brands are interchangeable. If you decide to go with a brand like Duravent, you'd have to return what you purchased from Lowes. There is typically limited selection of things for sale at Lowes as this stuff is just seasonal. You can order all lengths made, different support kits, etc. from the online retailers and its typically "free" shipping (built into price, at least it makes you feel better, right?) right to you house.