Thin layer of shiny creosote in 7-in clay flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Johnsmoke

Sep 25, 2024
Massachusetts
When I went to clean the chimney this fall I discovered a tissue paper thin shiny glaze of creosote lining the entire chimney. There was no loose stuff to knock off. Toward the end of the season the passive catalytic converter on my jotul 500 failed, causing abnormally Smoky fires before I caught the problem. My question is this a dangerous amount of creosote? The chimney sweep that came out to look at it said it needed to be chemically stripped and wants to charge me $4,000. Since it's so thin I wonder if it really is a hazard. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the situation. Thanks, John

When I went to clean the chimney this fall I discovered a tissue paper thin shiny glaze of creosote lining the entire chimney. There was no loose stuff to knock off. Toward the end of the season the passive catalytic converter on my jotul 500 failed, causing abnormally Smoky fires before I caught the problem. My question is this a dangerous amount of creosote? The chimney sweep that came out to look at it said it needed to be chemically stripped and wants to charge me $4,000. Since it's so thin I wonder if it really is a hazard. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the situation. Thanks, John
No clue without seeing atleast pics. But for $4g just have an insulated liner put in.

The chimney sweep took one photograph up through the chimney but has not shared it with me. It's bone dry tissue paper thin layer of creosote. I'm just wondering if it's safe to burn like this or not? There are no drips or large clumps it's just no longer a perfectly clean clay lining. It's just dark shiny glaze literally like black paint. I'm only concerned because this is my first time seeing it after three seasons of burning. I don't know if this is something I can treat myself or not?

The chimney sweep took one photograph up through the chimney but has not shared it with me. It's bone dry tissue paper thin layer of creosote. I'm just wondering if it's safe to burn like this or not? There are no drips or large clumps it's just no longer a perfectly clean clay lining. It's just dark shiny glaze literally like black paint. I'm only concerned because this is my first time seeing it after three seasons of burning. I don't know if this is something I can treat myself or not?
Again we have no idea without seeing full pictures. But yes glazed creosote can absolutely be a danger

4k to clean it with a chemical? I would find out what is used and do it myself. I am having a service upgrade to my house; multiple circuits added, generator transfer switch, a new sub panel and exterior outlets added to my house; a whole house surge protector installed all for not much more than that by a reputable licensed electrical company. Materials alone are thousands.

The chimney sweep is going to be in and out in how long? I looked up what it is and he has to basically sweep it, spray it with some stuff called tsr and come back later to sweep brush it again. He is trying to take you for a ride. I had my chimney tore down to roof line, a new liner installed and rebuilt for less than 4k. Call someone else and ask for a price. Unfortunately people try to pull this kind of thing all the time. A customer of mine was quoted $30k to replace the sewer line to the street by a big plumbing outfit. The job is worth about $4-5k. Just one example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimdusty
4k to clean it with a chemical? I would find out what is used and do it myself. I am having a service upgrade to my house; multiple circuits added, generator transfer switch, a new sub panel and exterior outlets added to my house; a whole house surge protector installed all for not much more than that by a reputable licensed electrical company. Materials alone are thousands.

The chimney sweep is going to be in and out in how long? I looked up what it is and he has to basically sweep it, spray it with some stuff called tsr and come back later to sweep brush it again. He is trying to take you for a ride. I had my chimney tore down to roof line, a new liner installed and rebuilt for less than 4k. Call someone else and ask for a price. Unfortunately people try to pull this kind of thing all the time. A customer of mine was quoted $30k to replace the sewer line to the street by a big plumbing outfit. The job is worth about $4-5k. Just one example.
Cleaning with pcr requires $5k in equipment a few hundred in materials and 2 to 3 visits at a few hours each. I still think the price is a bit high and I would try mechanical cleaning with rotary chains first but it is an expensive process. But line i said at 4g I would take those liners out and put in insulated stainless