thimble or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbenters

Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
NW Illinois
Need help. Installing a wood stove in front of my fireplace. I am using the fireplace chimney and am wondering if I have to install a thimble,or can I run my tee straight through. My wall is all brick from floor to ceiling. The tee I am using came with my flex liner. Any help would be great. Thanks

I think It's best to use a thimble for looks if your hole isn't perfect you can hide it. Don't know for sure about code..But someone will... good luck!

flyboy19600 said:
Need help. Installing a wood stove in front of my fireplace. I am using the fireplace chimney and am wondering if I have to install a thimble,or can I run my tee straight through. My wall is all brick from floor to ceiling. The tee I am using came with my flex liner. Any help would be great. Thanks

The tee is meant to be used inside the firebox to connect to the liner AFTER it passes thru the damper area.
If you wanna use it in your chimney, code says you need to have a wall pass-thru - i.e. THIMBLE -
thru the brick structure & into the flue...

I have a non-combustible wall - I chose to use a thimble - glad I did as a) you're supposed to (though can't quite work out why) b) my hole did end up messy - the thimble covered it nicely and made it look 'finished'. Pics somewhere in the vid below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

EDIT: That is the right video - youtube being funky this morning - if only they were owned by a big company that was able to reliably deliver the bandwidth....

Thanks to all who have replied. I am using a thimble and doing it the correct way. Just could not see the reason for it on the masonry chimney.

CarbonNeutral, hows that stove burning? I was thinking of one like that,how long will she burn? Thanks..

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] thimble or not
    F500_BBE_pl.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 230
Haven't done any long burns yet, though with three splits in, it's still warm in the morning and the house isn't anywhere as near as cold as it has been

Status
Not open for further replies.