Thermocouple stuff...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Investigating adding a thermocouple & digital readout for internal pipe temps to something.

I know quite a few on here have done this. Or some, at least. What I'm looking at would involve about 20' between the sensor & the readout. Or maybe a couple few feet more. I think you have to be kind of particular about the wire in between? And would prefer being able to have a °F readout. Haven't investigated yet what exactly is there for a power source at the readout, but there is something right there.

If anybody who has been through this could post some links to what you got, that would be great. :)

Reactions: Highbeam
Investigating adding a thermocouple & digital readout for internal pipe temps to something.
Google "digital temperature panel meter" or search the same on Amazon and Ebay. Find one that is made for the temperature range you need. Easier if a sensor is included, either K-type or DS18B20 probably, so you don't have to figure that out.

As for internal pipe temp, I have found that a sensor making good contact with the pipe, wrapped with aluminum tape, and then wrapped with insulation gets pretty close to internal temp. As for wiring, 2 or 3 wire thermostat cable, as needed, should be good for your distance, also could use ethernet or phone cable. For short distances, like less than 50 feet, should be fine. With the sensor/cable provided with the meter, you can cut the cable and splice in a longer cable, just observe the wire colors to match with the extension cable. Power supply typically is a DC wall wart transformer like is used for lots of electronics, just match the voltage required by the meter which is often 12-30VDC or so.

Also consider wireless meat temperature gauge oven safe if high temp is needed, or wireless thermometer if don't need high temp. Search Google, Amazon and Ebay. If continuous readout, may have an issue with battery life.

The sources I have found in the past for digital temp panel meter were of China origin, and these sites no longer are active. Might be a result of the US - China tariff and trade battle.

If you choose a type of thermocouple, you have to use a extension wire specific to that thermocouple type.
Obviously plan your wiring path to be separated from a high voltage ( 120+) by a foot or better on a parallel run, you can cross Perpendicular with little separation to maintain accuracy.
There are many readers or controllers that offer multiple inputs ( to view each sensor temp to judge the thermocline) and math functions to average the sensors( so you can determine how much wood you will need to bring the ave tank temp to a predetermined finish temp.
I did just that this fall for my garn, 4 sensors.
Take your desired finish temp and subtract the average temp, that difference is multiplied by how many lbs of wood your storage volume requires to raise your storage 1 deg.
For examples sake , it takes 3 lbs wood to raise my storage 1 degree, and my difference from 180 finish to 4 sensor tank average is 30 deg, = 90 lbs wood required. To get the most mileage you’ll need to mix the storage while burning.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think I will be looking at temps in a range up to 1000f or so. Pretty hot. I have some DS18B20's for my tanks. Was thinking a type like that wouldn't do that hot, and I would be needing a type K or similar.

Type k is great but tends to get pricey, primarily for the extension wire ( I use the shielded) .
Have you checked out rtd’s or thermistors that use a more common extension wire.

If your going to go with a thermocouple, make sure you order ungrounded. The grounded ones can induce a separate ground path than the reader has, usually causing useless reading

Type k is great but tends to get pricey, primarily for the extension wire ( I use the shielded) .
Have you checked out rtd’s or thermistors that use a more common extension wire.

No - I don't really know what else to look for or what else is out there. I only know the little bit I do know about Thermocouples and Type K from what reading I have done on here.

I have a very long braided stainless high temp Type k cable from a prior employer. It started out as a 50 footer but I am slowly nibbling away at it. I also ended up with a thermocouple calibrator which is expensive way of reading it. Most of the cheap Chinese read outs on Flea bay read either type.

Type K is what Lamppa uses as an input on their computer for their Vapor Fire furnaces. I'm using a MyPin connected to the tc computer terminals to "share" the signal so I can display the temps (in °F) which are being used by the computer.

DSC00764.JPG

Last edited: