Where to go from here? (Horrendous install and what should be next)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leaf

Nov 4, 2023
New Brunswick Canada
Hi, first post but you guys have helped me out alot just through browsing here so I'd like to say thanks first off.

Long and short here is that when I moved here I got my first wood furnace. ( Kerr Scotty, came with the house). What I didn't know could fill volumes so I just used it the way they described for a season.

Decided I was going to try and see what I could do to make it more efficient seeing as there were quite a few issues obvious just from a glance. What I have done and what I'm in the process of doing is as follows:

Honeywell limit switch in absolutely the wrong spot, corrected

1/4hp 120v US motors blower motor was inspected to reveal burnt windings, replaced with Marathon 1/3hp 240v motor

Because I suspected a wiring issue I redid the wiring for absolutely everything. The motor has its own dedicated line and the controls their own separate line

The blower itself was upgraded by taking its bearings and squirrel cage and putting them in a much more sturdy industrial blower housing

The fan speed was reduced to a reasonable level and using a home made manometer the pressure brought down to .2 to .3 (adjustable pulley, tachs at 700 something rpm at the lowest setting now whereas it was at maximum before, likely pushing .6 or .7 inches of water)

Moved the thermostat to a better spot (read: not directly above the furnace)(basement furnace)

The flue pipe had 2 back to back elbows coming directly out of the furnace into a 7 foot section on a slight downwards grade to the exterior brick chimney ithrough a thimble then another hard 90 up and out. Decided to just do a straight shot from the furnace to the chimney using 2 flexible elbows, 1 at either side

Ordered a thermocouple for the flue, should be here today

Ordered a set of snap switches to close theair control when the plenum is warm enough

Ordered a temperature controller. What I want to do with this (aside from reading the thermocouple is close off the damper with an actuator

I dont have the damper yet as I'm still learning to swim here and I wasn't issued any water wings. But also a maybe meter the air control, not sure yet or ig it even makes sense.

Ordered a simple thermometer for the plenum too and considering double wall pipe for the flue as it gets hot in the 1 bedroom and I think it'll keep the chimney hotter

And don't ask me about the duct work, please....

I'm really just flying by the seat of my pants and need to know if I'm even going in rhe right direction. Thank you for your time and constructive criticism

Last edited:
Is the Scotty a boiler or wood furnace?
Answered my own Question its a Furnace. Twenty five years ago when I lived in another town I picked up a Kerr furnace ( a Scotty) at a auction for $85 ,used it to heat a uninsulated garage it did the job but did it ever go through the wood!Doubt there is much you can do to make it more efficient .
Look at the Kuuma if you can afford it !

Answered my own Question its a Furnace. Twenty five years ago when I lived in another town I picked up a Kerr furnace ( a Scotty) at a auction for $85 ,used it to heat a uninsulated garage it did the job but did it ever go through the wood!Doubt there is much you can do to make it more efficient .
Look at the Kuuma if you can afford it !
There's lots I can do but I don't know what would be the best use of resources. The furnace is 7 years old, if i had the money I'd re do the ducting, iits an absolute joke. The work I did already has made a huge difference but eventually I'll hit diminishing returns

Last edited: