Thelin Providence Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfpint6846

Jan 18, 2015
Worcester County MA
Although my Providence Insert was installed in the Spring of 2012, it was only needed for aprox. 1 month running time and last heating season (2013-2014) the stove only ran for a few months before I lost my husband in Feb. 2014. I am now on my own to figure all of this out....but I am determined to learn.

I noticed that the gasket on the door is starting to fray and needs to be replaced. I viewed several youtube tuts as to how to do it, however my Providence doesn't seem to have a track to simply clean out, glue and replace. It appears to run both in front of the glass and behind the glass. Does anyone have a clue how to do this? Or what kit I need to get the job done?? I know I can call a service person to come out and do it, but I know I will get soaked in doing so and would just assume do it myself.

Also, is there any danger in using the stove until I get this fixed? Am I just looking at lost heat or a potential fire hazzard?

Any help would be appreciated! TYIA

Sorry to hear of your loss.
If the stove is running without shutting down the worn gasket is not really a serious issue as the stove burn chamber is in a vacuum and if vacuum is lost due to bad door gasket or glass breakage, loss of exhaust fan etc., a vacuum switch will shut the stove down. Most stove doors are not that hard to take off the hinge points to service and replace gaskets. The gasket that holds the glass probably does not need attention as it does not move or work. The main door gaskets I am not familiar with. We have a member that just replaced his insert and may be able to see if he knows anything of the door gasket.
Welcome

Ok, well that is good to know!! Will sleep a bit better now. I can't believe how hard it is to find any information about the Thelin Providence on the net.....almost impossible :/ Thank you for your help!!

Door gasket , I believe should be 5/8. Your best bet would be to message titanmatt. He was a great help to me for as long as I had the same stove.

Hi ya halfpint,
So sorry to hear of your loss. First to clear your head..we never had a safety issue. Loved the heat and look of the stove. It was a lemon. Our stove was one of the few that if it could go wrong it went wrong. If you click on my avatar I believe it will bring you to all my posts.At least get you closer. titanmatt worked for Thelin and was a great help for as long as I could handle our issues. We did have our gasket replaced, it was included in our spring cleaning so I did not do it myself.

Well thanks for clearing that up! Safety was the first thought when I read you no longer owned it. I'm sorry to hear that you had so many issues with yours, I have to say this one has been good to me so far. Auger jammed up a few times due to dust but I figured that out quickly. I think I too will have to have it replaced during the end of year cleaning. I can't believe how little info is on the net.....good or bad. Thanks so much for your input and your condolences.

You are welcome. There is almost nothing online that can answers questions for you. Have you tried the dollar bill test with your door?

Yes, I did and it failed miserably! I know it needs to be replaced but I was just hoping to be able to do it myself. I know I am going to get completely soaked if I call out for a service call to replace it. The stove itself runs great and has not shut down on me, so I am hoping it holds out until the end of burn season.....wish me luck ;)

We will. I would look at removing the doors and being able to bring them in to have it replaced if not comfortable with this project to save a home visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.