Defiant1945 broken scews that hold glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Haltoni

Feb 17, 2024
Wi
I sent this to Hearth and Home but did not get a response.
--I own a Vermont Castings Defiant 1945 woodstove. Recently the gasket for the glass on the right door fell out. I attempted to remove the Phillips Head screws that hold the brackets that hold the glass. I could not budge them even with rust buster soaking, I was able to loosen one screw on one bracket. I took the doors to the Hearth&Home Dealer and he was unable to remove the screws. He did break off the screws and completed a temporary repair using high temperature silicone to place the glass. I appreciate what the person at the Hearth and Home did for me. This has worked, however the glass appears to continue to leak air. I have replaced the gasket on the doors and the fire continues to burn high with ash drawer damper and air flow closed. I have owned this stove for 20 years and has worked great heating my house. However, it seems ridiculous that I may not be able to use my stove due to four 4 Phillips head screws. Probably 8 screws because I doubt that I, or your dealer can remove the screws in the left door to replace the gasket. I need your assistance, what do you recommend? How do I overcome this apparent poor design of placing Phillips head screws inside a wood stove subject to very high and intense heat? I am 81, on social security and cannot afford a new stove. I am sure that I am not the only person who has had this problem. How do we solve this dilemma? Thank you

I sent this to Hearth and Home but did not get a response.
--I own a Vermont Castings Defiant 1945 woodstove. Recently the gasket for the glass on the right door fell out. I attempted to remove the Phillips Head screws that hold the brackets that hold the glass. I could not budge them even with rust buster soaking, I was able to loosen one screw on one bracket. I took the doors to the Hearth&Home Dealer and he was unable to remove the screws. He did break off the screws and completed a temporary repair using high temperature silicone to place the glass. I appreciate what the person at the Hearth and Home did for me. This has worked, however the glass appears to continue to leak air. I have replaced the gasket on the doors and the fire continues to burn high with ash drawer damper and air flow closed. I have owned this stove for 20 years and has worked great heating my house. However, it seems ridiculous that I may not be able to use my stove due to four 4 Phillips head screws. Probably 8 screws because I doubt that I, or your dealer can remove the screws in the left door to replace the gasket. I need your assistance, what do you recommend? How do I overcome this apparent poor design of placing Phillips head screws inside a wood stove subject to very high and intense heat? I am 81, on social security and cannot afford a new stove. I am sure that I am not the only person who has had this problem. How do we solve this dilemma? Thank you
Drill them out and tap the threads with a bottoming tap. I can't believe the dealer didn't do that it's really standard especially on Vermont Castings stuff

Drill them out and tap the threads with a bottoming tap. I can't believe the dealer didn't do that it's really standard especially on Vermont Castings stuff
If your dealer can’t do it try a local machine shop or maybe a program at a technical high school

Id go to a different stove shop.. that one sounds suspect.. you should have it drilled and taped as mentioned above.. letting the screws bolts sut in a stove for a long period of time is not a good idea.. your hardware should be replaced every so often..

Id go to a different stove shop.. that one sounds suspect.. you should have it drilled and taped as mentioned above.. letting the screws bolts sut in a stove for a long period of time is not a good idea.. your hardware should be replaced every so often..
Yes or atleast pulled and anti seize applied

As others stated take it to a COMPETENT machine shop, an automotive machine shop should be able to handle it.

Reactions: bholler
Thank you for your response. I was concerned about drilling and tapping because of the cast iron. Thanks again.

Thank you for your response. I was concerned about drilling and tapping because of the cast iron. Thanks again.
Why? Cast drills and taps very well

As others stated take it to a COMPETENT machine shop, an automotive machine shop should be able to handle it.
A competent stove shop or sweep should be able to as well. It's honestly a pretty common thing we have to do