The saga continues... getting the chimney ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does any one have the dimensions for the viewing window for the PE alderlea T5 insert? The four Im looking at are the:

1. Enviro Boston 1200 - 177sq in, Surround finish fits the best in my fireplace.
2. VC Merrimack - 330 sq inches (ive read only two reviews and the people liked them but ive read other things about VC on here and not many people suggest them)
3. PE alderlea T5 - Unknown viewing area.
4. Hampton Hi400 - 249 sq in

Let me know what you think.

You are comparing larger stoves with smaller ones. The concerns posted about some VC stoves are for the freestanding stoves. The inserts do not have the refractory package nor the complexity of the freestanding stoves. They are somewhat conventional inserts. However, the size is more comparable to the Boston 1700. Same thing with the Hampton Hi400 (the Hi200 is a closer match). The 2 cu ft Alderlea T5 insert has a 148 sq in window. Might as well add the Quadrafire Voyageur to this mix. And the Jotul C450.

Even though I would have to put a hearth pad down to conform to the hearth clearances, I would rather have the insert sticking out rather than flush mount. So I think the contenders now are

1. VC Merrimack with the Northfield Surround. I love the big windows and that it sticks out 8". Ill have to check clearances a little more closely. I heard the fan can be loud on high but I think on low it should be fine.
2. Hampton Hi400. Good view and fan is quiet. The surround wouldnt fit as well as the VC.
3. Enviro Boston 1200 or 1700. Ive heard nothing but good things about these inserts but it has the smallest view. The surround fits perfectly and clearances check out except for the hearth.

The CI2600/HI400 has quite a few different surrounds. Apparently it's now the CI2700, that is news to me! I have the oversized cast surround, there is a regular sized cast, both in black or brown. Also a contemporary face. Check out the PDF manual if you need the specific measurements of each. I have the "grill" which obstructs the view, but that was a must from the wife. I think it looks sharp.

Even though I would have to put a hearth pad down to conform to the hearth clearances, I would rather have the insert sticking out rather than flush mount. So I think the contenders now are

1. VC Merrimack with the Northfield Surround. I love the big windows and that it sticks out 8". Ill have to check clearances a little more closely. I heard the fan can be loud on high but I think on low it should be fine.
2. Hampton Hi400. Good view and fan is quiet. The surround wouldnt fit as well as the VC.
3. Enviro Boston 1200 or 1700. Ive heard nothing but good things about these inserts but it has the smallest view. The surround fits perfectly and clearances check out except for the hearth.
I thought you were concerned about overheating and already had approval from the boss for the Boston 1200. There is also the Hearthstone Clydesdale which is adjustable in how much extends on the hearth, as is the Jotul C450 Kennebec. Of these two the Jotul has the smaller firebox.

You’re right, I am concerned about over heating so the Boston is probably the way to go... small viewing window though. I’ll check out the other two, Clydesdale and Kennebec.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with a smaller cast iron faced insert that can come out a bit and also has the option of an enameled finish. You can't go wrong with the Jotul. The Hampton HI200 seems like a nice little unit that would be great for your needs. I'd be surprised if you needed more than a 1.4 CuFt firebox with a smaller well insulated house.

Got up on my roof today. I have 13x13 clay liner in my chimney. So I’m going to get a 6” insulated liner kit and then I’ll need a 3 feet section of class a pipe since I’m only at 12’ for chimney height. Doesn’t seem to bad to install myself since I have a flat roof.