Tertiary air inlet on drolet escape?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sAdam

Feb 25, 2017
White rock
ive got a drolet escape 1800 insert and I noticed that it has a third air path that is only opened when the damper is fully closed. This air enters the firebox through three little holes at the bottom front of the firebox just under the door such that it would blow horizontally on the coal bed.

My question is that the little inlet hole for this air is about the same size as just one of the three outlet holes. Is it possible it was drilled too small?

I am having trouble getting good burns fully damped and am wondering if that could be the reason.

Great forum btw. All my dumbass google questions have brought me here.

That sounds like boost air. Many stoves have this arrangement. It helps fires start. Our Alderlea has the original EBT which introduces air through the boost manifold at the bottom of the fire. Our wood is very dry and I have found the boost air unnecessary and blocked the intake off. You can try blocking off the boost air by using a flat magnet or a piece of metal tape to test the difference on your stove.

That sounds like boost air. Many stoves have this arrangement. It helps fires start. Our Alderlea has the original EBT which introduces air through the boost manifold at the bottom of the fire. Our wood is very dry and I have found the boost air unnecessary and blocked the intake off. You can try blocking off the boost air by using a flat magnet or a piece of metal tape to test the difference on your stove.

This is kind of the opposite of boost air I guess. The inlet for this little manifold is only exposed when the air damper is fully closed. Anyway I'll call drolet on Monday and see what they have to say.

Sounds like boost air that is designed to prevent a smoldering fire when the air control is closed all the way.

Reactions: woodfreak666