termination cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michpelletburner

Oct 29, 2014
Davisburg,MI
So the question i have is, can i just use a 45* or just run the vent straight out? the vent comes horizontally out of the house, the problem i am having is the selkirk cap i have shoots the exhaust out the sides kinda like a tee almost and it is turning my house black in a hurry. I have 2 ft out from the house so that's not the issue, i have a 45 left over would it be ok to just use that? btw the wind does not blow at that side of the house so that wouldn't concern me

Reactions: rona
So the question i have is, can i just use a 45* or just run the vent straight out? the vent comes horizontally out of the house, the problem i am having is the selkirk cap i have shoots the exhaust out the sides kinda like a tee almost and it is turning my house black in a hurry. I have 2 ft out from the house so that's not the issue, i have a 45 left over would it be ok to just use that? btw the wind does not blow at that side of the house so that wouldn't concern me
Sounds like the minimum that meets code. You can use a 45 on the end. The ash that comes out the end, should be minimal, and consisting of fly ash, the very light and fluffy gray kind. If it's black and a lot, then perhaps your burn isn't quite optimal.

Sounds like the minimum that meets code. You can use a 45 on the end. The ash that comes out the end, should be minimal, and consisting of fly ash, the very light and fluffy gray kind. If it's black and a lot, then perhaps your burn isn't quite optimal.
the manual calls only for a foot out so i added a foot just to exceed that min, its not so much black but just grayish ash like coating and my vinyl siding is a light tan color. I fitted the 45 to try it out and it think it will work fine, the selkirk cap just blew the exhaust out the sides and almost back towards the house i would say a poor design

Here's how I do it.

termination cap question

Reactions: yrock87
perfect mine looks like yours now minus the screen ill just be sure to cap it off during summer so it doesn't become a wasp nest haha. I took the time to clean out the vent also, used the lint eater there was just a light coating of ash after almost a ton but that stupid cap was all plugged up with ash

I would just check your manual - while researching stoves this fall, I found some manufacturers specifically indicated not to place any sort of 45 or 90 "end cap" on a horizontal termination. Not sure why.

I had 2 foot outside with that type endcap. Side got sooty so I added another foot of pipe with a 90degree elbow pointed down and cured the problem. The prevailing winds here are from the northwest and this was on the east side of house. The wind actually swirled around the house and got it that way.

make a ash collector out of a barrel ,.,.,. in to barrel about a foot up from bottom , and as big or bigger outlet or outlets at top or on top,, turned down of course, for weather ,snow,rain , & wind..
if interested I can try my hand at getting a picture on here

I ended up making a jet style cap out of 304 stainless at a 45*, works great so far i wish it wasn't to cold to power wash the side of the house haha

I ended up making a jet style cap out of 304 stainless at a 45*, works great so far i wish it wasn't to cold to power wash the side of the house haha

Pics, or it didn't happen :)

Get out there with a bucket and scrub brush then==c

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Here's how I do it.

termination cap question

I'll give you 2 years maximum and your white vinyl siding will be a 'lighter shade of grey' around the pipe. Guess what, it won't come off either. Gives you home the 'used look'.......;lol Fly ash adheres to and bites into vinyl siding real well.

First. My siding is aluminum.

Second. This is year 5 already.

Reactions: bogieb
This is me.....
First. My siding is aluminum.

Second. This is year 5 already.

Then you are good. Pre-paint AL washes off, vinyl don't. Al siding would last about a day here and someone would peel and scrap it.;lol

Attachments

• termination cap question
    solid_fuel_fired_t.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 91
Aluminum siding if cared for lasts forever. Vinyl siding has a short shelf life no matter what.

This is me.....

Then you are good. Pre-paint AL washes off, vinyl don't. Al siding would last about a day here and someone would peel and scrap it.;lol

There is good money scrapping aluminum!

termination cap question termination cap question termination cap question

I dont know why they are sideways but here ya go for your viewing pleasure.

N-I-C-E!

Status
Not open for further replies.