Harman P43 Install with Selkirk DT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swisski

Jan 28, 2024
Washington
Hello everyone,

Looking for some help and insight from those knowledgeable. I'm about to buy a new Harman P43 that will be going in our detached garage/outbuilding. I originally was just going to have it installed, but the dealer I'm buying from doesn't do installs any longer, and it's been hard to find a reputable company to do it. After researching futher, this task is not above me by any means as I'm fairly handy, just didn't want to deal with it originally.

I like the appeal of the Selkirk DT with the intake built into the complete venting system. This will be an up and out installation. I see Selkirk has up and out termination kits. What is the difference between VP and UPP termination kits? Is there any reason to choose one over the other? The installation diagram looks almost identical, both utilizing an appliance connection to the Tee, the pellet stove adaptor with a connection to the fresh air intake, and then just DT venting until termination.

This will be up against the wall, so I'd like it to be as close as possible while within clearance limits, I just don't want my stove sticking out too far, so not sure whether that makes a difference or not. I've tried to research as much as possible between Selkirk and Harman literature to make sure I understand everything correctly. This forum has been a big help as well.

Appreciate any help.

• 304 Stainless Steel Inner Liner
  • Galvanized Outer Wall
  • Available unpainted or with a Matte Black finish
  • Siliconized fiberglass seal - No sealant required
  • Coaxial System
  • LockTab® security
  • Pipe rotates 360° easily to align system components
  • Variety of vertical and horizontal terminations
  • Smart Choice Warranty on all components
VP
  • 304 Stainless Steel inner liner
  • Galvanized outer wall for exterior use
  • Matte Black finish for interior use
  • For use with gas, oil and wood pellet-burning appliances
  • 1" clearance to combustibles
  • Double-wall design with 1/4" uniform airspace
  • Die formed male end eliminates sharp edges
  • Siliconized Rope Gasket at every joint - No sealant required
  • Variety of kits available
  • Type L Vent
  • Smart Choice Warranty on all components
Not much difference maybe the UPP is a little better quality.

Thank you, I did compare those specs on their website. I guess I figured it was more use case based decision, rather than a cost and preference type of thing. Seems like I can go either route and be just fine.

Hello
I did a Selkirk DT on a Hudson River West Point pellet stove a while back and it came out super!
Also built a custom tiled lighted raised hearth for safety and good looks. :)
See pics here

Reactions: swisski
Hello
I did a Selkirk DT on a Hudson River West Point pellet stove a while back and it came out super!
Also built a custom tiled lighted raised hearth for safety and good looks. :)
See pics here
Looks great. Which DT kit did you go with? The UPP or VP version?

I like the VP because I really do Not like the silicone seals in the UPP
Also it is alot cheaper to paint it black with VHT Flat Black for Primer and the Stove Bright Satin Black for the top coat!
See next to last pic in link above

I like the VP because I really do Not like the silicone seals in the UPP
Also it is alot cheaper to paint it black with VHT Flat Black for Primer and the Stove Bright Satin Black for the top coat!
See next to last pic in link above
Thanks for your help, Don. Last question, with the DT Vent on my Harman P43, how much do you figure that will add to the stove protruding from the wall? Harman states you need 2" of clearance from the back, however I know that will not be the case with me going up and out. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how close I can get the stove exhaust collar to the VP L vent Tee, and how much distance that will increase protrusion from up against the wall.

Hello
I have DT on my Harman P61a which is very similar to a P43. As you can see from the photos the back of the stoves is 9” away from the wall. The bracket that holds the pipe to the wall is on the 3 slot and bolted to a 1/2” piece of wood which is nailed to the studs.
So you could gain maybe 2-3” if you made it closer.
I have a knee wall shelf I have to clear that is why I am out a few more inches.
I really would not want it any closer because I need room to service the stove.

42FE341E-2280-448F-B568-651744778F4C.jpeg 73ACCF2F-ADAE-47DD-916C-28C4106ED369.png

Make sure to leave yourself enough room to do basic maintenance back there (remove the side covers and get to the fines box as well as the exhaust and distribution fans. You will want to blow those fans/motors out regularly with canned air (or vacuum nozzle) and the fines box will need to be cleaned when you do the regular maintenance.

My P43 has 11" between the wall and the back of the stove and that is perfect as far as I'm concerned as when I replaced the distribution fan, I didn't have to move / unhook the stove.

Make sure to leave yourself enough room to do basic maintenance back there (remove the side covers and get to the fines box as well as the exhaust and distribution fans. You will want to blow those fans/motors out regularly with canned air (or vacuum nozzle) and the fines box will need to be cleaned when you do the regular maintenance.

My P43 has 11" between the wall and the back of the stove and that is perfect as far as I'm concerned as when I replaced the distribution fan, I didn't have to move / unhook the stove.
Yes that made it easy to replace your combustion blower. Thanks BB :)

Yes that made it easy to replace your combustion blower. Thanks BB :)

IIRC, we did have to unhook and move the P43 for the combustion blower change. Didn't have to move it much, just enough to give you room between the wall on the left and the stove. If that wall hadn't been there, we wouldn't have had to move it at all.

Be aware in Washington stove in garage must be 18 inches off floor and if in line with vehicle must have a crash barrier.

Some insurance companies will not cover any solid fuel heaters in garages per national policy

12.2. 3 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.
12.2. 4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Be aware in Washington stove in garage must be 18 inches off floor and if in line with vehicle must have a crash barrier.

Some insurance companies will not cover any solid fuel heaters in garages per national policy

12.2. 3 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.
12.2. 4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.
The only question with that National code is what criteria defines a garage because if no vehicles or gas is stored there then what other else makes putting a pellet stove in there not code compliant?

Reactions: ARC
Yes, thank you. I've discussed with my agent. He said it's not covered, but as in my case like Don mentioned, we are not actually parking vehicles in there, nor will it store any gasoline. All the lawn equipment and fuel, oil, etc. will be in the garden shed. He didn't know exactly how to respond to that, and agreed it makes sense to want a pellet stove in there my situation. In the end, it was deemed to be a grey area in the conversation, but ultimately he said I'm not going to tell you can or can't do it. Just know the rules based on what the dwelling is. In our case, the downstairs is a shop/storage area with a bit of man cave mixed in. This is where the stove will be. Upstairs is and office for my wife, extra storage and a bonus room.

Reactions: Don2222 and ARC
I lied earlier when I said that was my last question! Bear with me, pellet stoves are new to me.

Going with the up and out, the kit looks straight forward and easy. However in looking at their catalog, I see there are a few options for different components. For the VP stove adaptor, there is also a low profile option. Is that simply more compact, or what is the potential benefit of that?

For the Tee it looks like you can add a vacuum cleanout cap. Anyone find that helpful? It looks like you can remove the cap just the same, or just utilize the threaded pipe to hook the ash vac up to? Am I correct about that?

Lastly, for the vent termination, I see there is a 45 degree option to angle it down (not included in kit) instead of just straight out. Does that better aid in keeping flue exhaust off your siding? I want to make sure I select the right component for this as our Hardie siding is painted white, and I'd like the best chance of not having that get discolored from all the byproducts of combustion.

Thanks again for all your help.

I think it is all a personal choice
Except for the exhaust termination
go straight out to keep it off the siding
Hopefully not into the prevailing winds

I think it is all a personal choice
Except for the exhaust termination
go straight out to keep it off the siding
Hopefully not into the prevailing winds
Straight out is better than angled down? Good to know. Unfortunately, the vent is going toward the general prevailing wind in my area, but it's my only option.

You could turn it up and put a cap on it
to keep the weather out.

My exhausts are facing into prevailing wind and I have tww different end terminations.

The P61a has a "jet" termination. Note that this was professionally installed. This doesn't keep wind out, but does create a strong air force where I don't have any issues. The only thing I've noticed is that occasionally it must let in a bit of rain, but it can't be much and the back side of that termination is open to the air so I would assume most rain is just exits that way

When I installed the P43, I installed a 45* angle piece as a termination. This pipe actually gets more wind than the other stoves exhaust since it is higher up and there are no natural wind breaks. I do not have the 45* angle piece facing down, but to the side a bit. It helps keep out wind and keeps out rain.

1706943223930.png

Thank Bogie. I'm happy to see you also don't have any soot or discoloration on your light siding from the flue exhaust. That's my goal as well