Talk me out of drilling into a hot stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gthomas785

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2020
Central MA
Finally got around to buying a probe flue thermometer for my main stove. I want to start using it but I don't know how soon the stove will be "off." I've been burning continuously since thanksgiving and we've got a cold snap coming. I will have to sweep the flue at some point but I think I've got another cord or 2 to go before then.

Can I drill a hole while the pipe is warm? I'd do it right before a reload obviously so it's as cool as possible, and I've got some nice high temp gloves I can wear. The pipe is doublewall and screwed together pretty good so I don't think I have to worry about it falling apart on me. Is there any reason not to do this, that I didnt think of?

Finally got around to buying a probe flue thermometer for my main stove. I want to start using it but I don't know how soon the stove will be "off." I've been burning continuously since thanksgiving and we've got a cold snap coming. I will have to sweep the flue at some point but I think I've got another cord or 2 to go before then.

Can I drill a hole while the pipe is warm? I'd do it right before a reload obviously so it's as cool as possible, and I've got some nice high temp gloves I can wear. The pipe is doublewall and screwed together pretty good so I don't think I have to worry about it falling apart on me. Is there any reason not to do this, that I didnt think of?
Get someone to hold your beer.;)

I mean if you're going to do it (don't) it sounds like you have it mostly covered. The only things I could think of would be to scoop everything out of the firebox first into a bucket. You could always add the coals back afterwards.

Also mine took some force to get through the pipe. Could have been my dull bit though. So I'm not sure your pipe is set up to take that kind of horizontal force applied to it even if it is screwed in at the seems. I couldn't imagine getting the bit through without securing the pipe to my workbench first.

Reactions: gthomas785
No problem at all. We drill and tap exhaust manifolds with the engine running to blow the chips out.

What are you doing, pounding a nail through it? Just drill the holes. The metal shavings will be hot anyway. Let the bit do the drilling, only the least bit of pressure is needed.

Worry more about keeping the bit level and not drifting.

Just drill it.

I’ll bet you shut off your generator when refueling too! What else, wear a helmet on a motorcycle!?
I’m kidding, I’d use a good bit. Maybe center punch first take your time

I’ll bet you shut off your generator when refueling too! What else, wear a helmet on a motorcycle!?
I’m kidding, I’d use a good bit. Maybe center punch first take your time
Actually I do shut down my generator before refueling, but I never have the patience to let it cool. Completely illogical I know.

Maybe you’re worried that wood smoke will pour out of the hole? No, it will suck air in.

Is it done yet?

All done

Talk me out of drilling into a hot stovepipe

I would do it. As long as the pipe is well secured, which it seems to be, there will be minimal strain on it from a sharp drill bit. It probably won't take as long to drill the hole as it did me to type this response.

Why do you say that? Yeah it's 20" off the collar not 18" but I wanted to miss the overlapped part of the telescoping pipe.
It's fine at 20"...18" isn't a magic number...

It's fine at 20"...18" isn't a magic number...
Exactly, you can't tell me that the difference would be relevant in this case. Honestly, even if you were a couple of hundred degrees off (which I don't think you'd be even close to this), it just wouldn't matter. Well done.

I thought it was supposed to go in the beer to make sure it was at at or under the right temp for consumption.......