T-Studs, new method of framing minimizing thermal bridging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
But something fireproof perhaps.
Drywall is not fireproof it is just rated tonresist burnthrough for a certain period of time. Just as solid wood is. Actually 1" of solid wood is pretty close to 1/2" drywall.

Reactions: Ashful
Drywall is not fireproof it is just rated tonresist burnthrough for a certain period of time. Just as solid wood is. Actually 1" of solid wood is pretty close to 1/2" drywall.

Good to know since I'm sure the rockwool exterior panels aren't cheap. We really like the idea, but we will have to see what the budget will allow when the lumber yard tells us the price.

Fire rated is drywall is at least 5/8" thick. Not aware of any 1/2 fire rated drywall. Probably a better term is fire resistant not fire proof. Off gassing of Foam board would be another good reason to apply it to the exterior of the wall under the siding. The main reason is to satisfy the 1/3 - 2/3s rule for severe climates.

Fire rated is drywall is at least 5/8" thick. Not aware of any 1/2 fire rated drywall. Probably a better term is fire resistant not fire proof. Off gassing of Foam board would be another good reason to apply it to the exterior of the wall under the siding. The main reason is to satisfy the 1/3 - 2/3s rule for severe climates.
1/2" drywall is fire rated as well. Most products have a fire rating. But yes if you are building an actual fire wall you need 5/8" but you need 2 layers with the first taped then staggered seams. I believe that gives you 2 hours. 1/2" is 30 mins I believe. But it has been a while since I have done any of that work so my numbers could be off

Reactions: Ashful
Its pretty simple. The biggest hassle is the electrical boxes. You can either use standard boxes and space them out from the wall to account for the extra thickness or you can buy box extenders that screw onto the face of the box. I use 1/2" foil faced isoboard which is pretty dense and the foil tends to spread point loads out plus the dry wall works pretty well to spread the load. I use 1/2 drywall, I dont know if 3/8" is still made but would suggest 1/2" is better choice. I use a couple of roofing nails to hold the iso board up, then tape all the seams and breaks in the foils with foil tape then use long drywall screws with a dry wall screw gunto hold the dry wall up. I did my office (bedroom) exterior walls and have had a couple of nail pops and my living room wall with no nail pops. Its been 10 years and I dont see a lot of difference between the new walls and the old walls with respect to nail pops.

Got busy and just saw the replies.

I'll have to try this on the next room that gets remodeled. Two of my upstairs rooms have knee walls with an angle at the top that is just the roof joists. I just did the smaller one earlier this summer, but the larger one still needs done. I'd like a way to add a bit more insulation at that point and cut down on the thermal bridging caused by the joists.

And 1/2 inch is the thinnest drywall that I use. Some of my rooms have 5/8 on the ceilings, but with my last remodel, I just used 1/2 and put more screws in; I had no desire to wrestle a full 5/8 sheet overhead.

And 1/2 inch is the thinnest drywall that I use. Some of my rooms have 5/8 on the ceilings, but with my last remodel, I just used 1/2 and put more screws in; I had no desire to wrestle a full 5/8 sheet overhead.
Would 3/8" cement board suffice? Is this process less expensive or faster than using the Rockwood exterior Comfortboard?

I think this is a great, simple example of how simply looking at how something can be done differently, and making basic, inexpensive changes, can help with a lot of the energy/ environmental issues. There are two reasons why something like framing has always been done the same way... its the right way to do it or its just how its always been done. To much of what is done in our society is only done because that's how it was always done. If we start applying some creativity and problem solving skills (2 things that the next generation lacks), so many issues can be solved.
I spend a lot of time in my classes trying to build my students problem solving skills.

Sorry for the rant lol

Reactions: sloeffle
Theres more ways than one to increase wall R value but at some point all yur heat is going out thru the windows and doors. saving another .001 on the walls makes no sense. The saying goes the worst wall is a higher r value than the best window. First air sealing, then ceilings ,then walls then floors ,in that order .

Last edited:
There are two reasons why something like framing has always been done the same way... its the right way to do it or its just how its always been done. To much of what is done in our society is only done because that's how it was always done. l
I know this is aside from your primary point, but this is not correct. Nothing is done just because that’s how it was always done. If it’s not presently the “right” way to do it, it likely once was the “right” way. It’s just a matter of timing and technology.

And you forgot the third reason, someone profiting from it. [emoji14]

Reactions: sloeffle
I know this is aside from your primary point, but this is not correct. Nothing is done just because that’s how it was always done. If it’s not presently the “right” way to do it, it likely once was the “right” way. It’s just a matter of timing and technology.

And you forgot the third reason, someone profiting from it. [emoji14]
Yes I left that part of the point I was trying to make out. Things change over time and unfortunately we take to long to change simply because it is change.

I've heard a story about a little girl asking her mom why she cuts the ends off of the ham before she puts it in a pan and then into the oven even though there is plenty of room in the pan?
The mother replies that it is how her mother taught her mother did it so she just does it that way.

The little girl asks her grandmother why she cuts the ends off of the ham before she puts it in a pan and then into the oven even though there is plenty of room in the pan?
The grandmother replies that it is how her mother did it so she just does it that way.

So the little girl asks her great-grandmother why did she cut the ends off the ham? The great grandmother replied that she was to poor to buy a bigger pan so they had to cut the ham to fit.

Reactions: brenndatomu